The deadly attack on an Army Administrative Camp in Jammu & Kashmir’s Uri is the biggest terror attack in the last decade.
Starting at around 4:30am, Sep 18, the attack martyred the lives of 18 soldiers and injured 19 others.
Here are the big numbers to know in terms of Pakistan-backed terrorist attacks in Jammu & Kashmir over the years:
14,732: The number of Indian civilians killed in Pakistan-backed terrorist violence in Jammu and Kashmir since 1988
6,232: The number of Indian Security Force Personnel martyred in Pakistan-sponsored terrorist attacks in Jammu and Kashmir since 1988
623: The number of Indian security personnel martyred because of Pakistani terrorists in Jammu and Kashmir in the last decade
454: The number of civilian deaths in the last decade in Jammu and Kashmir because of Pakistan-sponsored terrorist attacks
104: The number of Indian Security Force Personnel martyred in terrorist attacks by Pakistan infiltrated terrorists in 2015 and 2016
63: The number of security personnel martyred this year alone in terrorist violence in the Valley. Additionally, at least 8 civilians have been killed in the first 9 months of the year.
Here’s a look at the major terror attacks since February 2016:
- February 4: Three terrorists were killed by security forces in Hajan area, Bandipora District after they tried to infiltrate into India. The forces recovered three bodies of the terrorists, three AK-47 rifles, one UBGL and large number of IEDs and ammunition from the encounter site.
- February 13: Two jawans were injured in an encounter in Chowkibal forest area of North Kashmir’s Kupwara District. Five LeT terrorists, who attempted to infiltrate into India from across the border, were neutralised by the security forces.
- February 21-22: Army gunned down three terrorists holed up in an EDI building in Pampore area of Pulwama district. Five army jawans were martyred in the 48 hour long gunbattle. A civilian also lost his life after coming under fire of terrorist bullets.
- March 2: Three Hizbul terrorists were gunned down in an overnight encounter in Tral area of Pulwama district. Three AK rifles were recovered from the scene of the gun battle.
- April 2: Three LeT terrorists were killed in an encounter with security forces in Lolab in Kupwara district. The terrorists were said to be from Pakistan.
- May 7: Three Hizbul Mujahideen terrorists were killed in a joint encounter by the Police and Indian Army during a search operation in Panzgam village of Pulwama District. Three weapons were recovered from the encounter site.
- May 21: Five JeM terrorists, including their commander, were killed after they tried to infiltrate into Jammu and Kashmir from Pakistan. A joint operation was launched by the Indian Army and the J&K Police in Dragmulla area in Kupwara district. Two Army personnel were injured in the attack.
- May 26: Army foiled an infiltration attempt in Nowgam sector of Handwara along the LoC in Kupwara district and killed three terrorists in the operation.
- June 3: Three BSF personnel were martyred and seven others critically injured after terrorists from across the border ambushed the security personnel convoy near Bijbehara on Srinagar-Jammu National Highway in Anantnag district. The terrorists fired indiscriminately at a bus that was ferrying personnel between two posts. Hizbul Mujahideen claimed responsibility for the attack.
- June 16: Four heavily armed terrorists were gunned down after the Army foiled a major infiltration bid along the LoC in Tanghdar sector of Kupwara district. One Army personal was martyred in the attack.
- June 23: Three militants were killed in a gunfight that raged at Waterkhani in Drugmulla area in Kupwara District.
- June 25: Eight paramilitary jawans were martyred and 20 others injured when terrorists attacked their convoy at Frestbal near Pampore. The terrorists fired indiscriminately at the CRPF bus and also deflated its tyres. The terrorists were later gunned down in an encounter. The Lashkar-e-Toiba claimed responsibility for the attack.
- July 16: Three Pakistani terrorists affiliated to the LeT were gunned down after they tried to infiltrate into India from the LoC in Sabjian sector, Poonch district. The supplies that were recovered from them had a Pakistan marking.
- July 26: Four terrorists were killed and one terrorist was apprehended alive by security forces in Nowgam sector near the LoC in Kupwara district.
- July 30: Two soldiers were martyred and two terrorists were killed after the Indian Army foiled an infiltration bid along the LoC in Nowgam sector in Kupwara district.
- August 8: Three BSF personnel were martyred and two army personnel were injured in an encounter after security forces foiled an infiltration bid along the LoC in Macchil sector in Kupwara district. One terrorist was gunned down by the forces.
- August 15: Terrorists opened fire on security forces in Nowhatta area of Srinagar on India’s Independence Day. One CRPF commandant was martyred and 11 CRPF personnel were injured in the attack. The brave commandant gunned down two terrorists before he was shot at in the neck. Five terrorists were killed in a separate encounter along the LoC in Uri sector in Baramulla district as the Army foiled a major infiltration bid.
- August 17: JeM terrorists ambushed an army convoy in Khwajabagh in Baramulla district. Two army personnel and a policeman were martyred and three SF personnel were injured .
- September 11: Four terrorists were gunned down after the Army foiled three infiltration attempts by terrorists. A huge cache of arms and ammunition was recovered from the slain terrorists.
- September 18: 17 jawans were martyred and 19 others injured after terrorists targeted an administrative base of the Army in Uri sector of Jammu and Kashmir. Four terrorists were killed by the security forces. Combing operations are underway
(With inputs from www.satp.org)