Not only are pineapples tasty, they also have several health benefits.
- Pineapples are packed with vitamins and minerals like vitamin A and C, calcium, potassium and phosphorus. High in fibre content and low in fat and cholesterol, it is an ideal summer fruit.
- They are rich in vitamin C, known to help fight viruses that cause cough and colds. They also contain bromelain, effective in suppressing coughs.
- The manganese present in the fruit helps maintain strong bones and connective tissues.
- Eating the fruit regularly is known to keep your gums healthy
- Certain studies reveal that pineapples can prevent macular degeneration. This disease is one of the main reasons for vision loss and caused by damage to the retina. Eating pineapples, which contain beta carotene, can lower risk by over 30%.
- The fruit improves digestion. Bromelain present in pineapples neutralises fluids, so that they aren’t too acidic. It helps regulate secretions in your pancreas to aid in digestion.