4-5 drumsticks (scrap and cut into 2″ pieces)
1 tablespoon oil
1/4 teaspoon mustard seeds
1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
A pinch of asafoetida
5-6 garlic pods (chopped)
1 tablespoon green chili (chopped)
1 medium onion (chopped)
1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
2 teaspoon coriander powder
1 teaspoon jeera (cumin) powder
1/4 teaspoon curry powder / garam masala
1 tablespoon coriander leaves (chopped)
Salt to taste
Jaggery to taste (about 1 tbsp.)
1) Boil one cup of water, add a little salt and add drumstick pieces and cook until soft. Drain the extra water from the drumsticks and put aside.
2) Heat oil in a kadai/pan and add mustard, cumin seeds and a pinch of asafetida. Add chopped green chilies and garlic and saute for awhile.
3) Now add chopped onion and saute again until they turn translucent. Add chopped tomatoes and cook for another 2-3 minutes until it becomes mushy and seperates from the oil.
4) Add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder, jeera powder and garam masala and saute for awhile.
5) Now add cooked drumsticks and mix well. Add about 1/2 cup of water (drained). Add salt and jaggery and cook for 2 minutes. Garnish with coriander leaves.
6) Serve hot with hot steamed rice or chapatis/parathas.