Kingfisher Airlines staffer not paid for 6 months, wife kills herself

NEW DELHI (TIP): The crisis at Kingfisher Airlines claimed its first victim when the wife of a technical officer committed suicide on Thursday afternoon, leaving behind a note that said the family was in deep financial distress as her husband had not received his salary for six months.

Sushmita Chakroborty, 45, was found hanging from a room at her residence in DDA flats at Manglapuri near Palam. Police said they had recovered a half-page suicide note written in Bangla in which she mentioned their financial problems and her fear that her husband, Manas Chakroborty, would lose his job.

She wrote that her husband and 18-year-old son were very caring and that she loved them. But she could not deal with the family’s situation, the note added. Addional CP (southwest), A K Ojha, confirmed the contents of the note.
Pilot retired from Air Force to join Kingfisher Airlines

Manas Chakroborty, whose wife Sushmita hanged herself at their residence in DDA flats at Manglapuri near Palam on Thursday, had retired from the Air Force to join Kingfisher. The couple’s only son is studying engineering in Assam, police said.

The suicide came to light around 1.15pm, after the woman did not pick up the telephone or respond to the doorbell. Police received a call at 1.25pm from one of the neighbours about the incident. “Manas was in office and had called up Sushmita around 1pm. When she didn’t answer, he asked one of the neighbours to check on her,” said a senior police officer.

To Advertise Call us @ +1 646 431 4064special-issue

After she did not answer the doorbell, Manas reached home and entered the house through the balcony door. “When he peeped through the window, he found her hanging from the ceiling fan with a dhoti,” the officer said. Sushmita also said in the suicide note that she had made several mistakes in the past for which her husband had forgiven her. ”

(But) I am unable to deal with things now and I’m committing suicide,” the note said. The woman was rushed to Deen Dayal Upadhyay hospital where she was declared brought dead. Her body has been sent for post mortem.

Manas is believed to have told the police that Sushmita was depressed for over a year. The couple’s son has not been informed about the suicide.

Police are investigating the case and taking down statements of family members. They have ruled out any foul play and inquest proceedings have been initiated in the matter under section 174 CrPC.

“They were a simple family, and lived together very happily. They were social and friendly with all neighbours. Sushmita herself was very pleasant and did not get into fights or arguments with anybody. They were very active during Durga Puja, and would collect money for the festival that is celebrated in the neighbourhood park. Their son was also supposed to come during the Puja,” said a neighbour.

“They were definitely under financial strain, and it was a struggle even to send their son to study,” he added.

- Advertise Here Call +1 646 247 9458 -

Trending (48 Hours)

CBI registers FIR against UK-based arms dealer in Embraer deal

NEW DELHI (TIP): The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) registered a First Information Report (FIR) against a UK-based arms dealer for allegedly taking kickbacks...
- Advertise Here Call +1 646 247 9458 -