No reason for Anna Hazare to go back to Ramlila Maidan: Kiran Bedi
NEW YORK (TIP): While Anna has been proposing a return to Ram Lila Maidan to relaunch his agitation for the Jan Lokpal Bill on the first day of the winter session of Parliament if the government of India failed to bring one by that time, his colleague and one time close confidante Magsaysay Award winner Kiran Bedi believes that there is no reason for the anti-corruption crusader to go back to Ramlila grounds to re-launch his movement till the matter is pending before the Supreme Court. Asserting that this does not reflect “any differences” with Hazare, the former police officer said that she and other close associates of the anti-corruption crusader are trying their best to convince him not to go back to Ramlila Maidan. His health is another reason for such an approach, Bedi said. “Once the matter is before the Supreme Court, I do not see a reason for going back to the Ramlila Ground at the moment, because the Indian Parliament could say we are already responding to the Supreme Court, why do not we wait for the Supreme Court verdict,” Bedi told media in New Delhi. This is quite contrary to the views of Hazare.
His colleague and one time close confidant Magsaysay Award winner Kiran Bedi does not agree with his view and says there is no reason for Anna to go back to Ramlila grounds to re-launch his movement till the matter is pending before the Supreme Court
At a New York reception hosted in his honor on August 27, Hazare had said that he would go back to agitation at Ramlila grounds on the first day of the winter session of Parliament, if the Union Government does not bring the Lokpal in the current session. “While he continues to have the determination he has, but all his wellwishers including people from his own village are telling Anna, we can’t risk your health anymore, because you are more precious. He had long term consequences of 10 day fast,” Bedi insisted. “It is not difference of opinion. It is again back to him to say Anna we can’t do this; you can’t continue to sacrifice like this. Even his village people are continuing to persuade him that you can’t do this now, let’s wait for the Supreme Court decision. “I have personally told Anna, this is not the right time, we need to wait for the decision of the Supreme Court. You can’t risk your health now. It is not difference of opinion. It is two approaches. One approach is concern for Anna’s health and secondly waiting correctly till the Supreme Court decides on it, we need not come in. But if still Anna insists, we all would be behind him,” Bedi said