WASHINGTON (TIP): The US Census Bureau has projected that by 2044 more than half of all adults in America will belong to a minority group.
The report released Tuesday, March 3 projects that the non-Hispanic white population will still be the largest, but no racial or ethnic group is likely to have more than a 50 percent share of the total population.
Among the other findings made in the Census report:
- The US is already nearly a majority-minority nation among those under age 18.
- By 2020, 50 % of children in the U.S. are expected to be a part of a racial or ethnic minority.
- By 2044, 50.3 % of all adults in America will be from the minorities.
- The country’s population will swell to 417 million by 2060, compared to roughly 320 million today.
- Nearly 20 percent of Americans will be foreign born by 2060, compared to 13 percent in 2014. Hispanic will be the largest foreign-born group, followed by non-Hispanic Asian.
- The population of “single-race non-Hispanic White” children will drop to 36 percent by 2060, compared with 52 percent today.