LONDON (TIP): A 24-year-old Indian-origin taxi driver, who is also a bhangra singer, has been jailed for nine months for a sex attack on a passenger in the English town of Nottingham. Dhanraj Singh was taking a young woman home when he kissed and touched her. Singh was told he breached his passenger’s trust because she was in his care and had been drinking.
Nottingham Crown Court heard that Singh was a bhangra singer and was due to fly to Mumbai to film a music video after topping the Asian music charts. But instead, the father-of-two was sent to prison for nine months on Tuesday after being found guilty earlier this month of sexual assault. “You are a talented, award-winning musician. You have put all of that in jeopardy. You were responsible for her safety and well-being. You took advantage of a lone female passenger who had been drinking,” Judge Gregory Dickinson said in his ruling. The judge said the effect on the victim had been “very serious” and the court was told that the woman had made a statement saying she was “still raw” and was having ongoing counselling.
She had lost weight as a result of the attack on April 1, which had also affected her studies and left her feeling “vulnerable”, the local ‘Nottingham Post’ daily reported. Defence lawyer Mark Achurch told the court: “He is a family man with two children who had been working anti-social hours to support his family. “It was a short-lived incident. He lost his taxi driver’s licence immediately and has been out of work and on benefits since.” The case comes less than two weeks after another Nottingham taxi driver was jailed for sexually assaulting a 17- year-old girl in the back of his cab. Jamil Ahmed, chairman of Nottingham Licensed Taxi Owners’ and Drivers’ Association, said steps were being taken to keep passengers safe.
Year: 2014
-

INDIAN-ORIGIN TAXI DRIVER JAILED FOR SEX ATTACK IN UK
-

Iraqi Kurdish forces enter Syria to fight Islamic State
SURUC, TURKEY/BEIRUT (TIP): A first group of Iraqi Kurdish peshmerga fighters entered the besieged Syrian town of Kobani on Thursday to help push back Islamic State militants who have defied US air strikes and threatened to massacre its Kurdish defenders. Kobani, on the border with Turkey, has been encircled by the Sunni Muslim insurgents for more than 40 days.
Weeks of US-led air strikes have failed to break their stranglehold, and Kurds are hoping the arrival of the peshmerga will turn the tide. The siege of Kobani – known in Arabic as Ayn al-Arab – has become a test of the US-led coalition’s ability to stop Islamic State’s advance, and Washington has welcomed the peshmerga’s deployment. A first contingent of about 10 peshmerga fighters crossed into Kobani from Turkey, the Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said. Kurdish and Turkish officials said a larger deployment was expected within hours.
“That initial group, I was told, is here to carry out the planning for our strategy going forward,” said Meryem Kobane, a commander with the YPG, the main Syrian Kurdish armed group defending the town. “They need to make preparations so the peshmerga will be positioned according to our needs,” she told Reuters. Around 100 peshmerga fighters arrived by plane in southeastern Turkey on Wednesday, joined later that night by a land convoy of vehicles carrying heavy weapons including a cannon and truck-mounted highcalibre machine guns. In a compound protected by Turkish security forces near the border town of Suruc, the fighters were donning combat fatigues and preparing their weapons, a Reuters correspondent said.
Syria condemned Turkey for allowing foreign fighters and “terrorists” to enter Syria in a violation of its sovereignty. Its foreign ministry described the move as a “disgraceful act”. More troops possible Iraqi Kurdistan President Masoud Barzani said his region was prepared to deploy more forces to Kobani if asked. “Whenever the situation on the ground necessitates and more forces are requested from us and there is passage for them, we will send more forces to protect Kobani and defeat terrorists in Western Kurdistan,” he said in a statement. Islamic State has caused international alarm by capturing large expanses of Iraq and Syria, declaring an Islamic “caliphate” that has erased borders between the two.
Its fighters have slaughtered or driven away Shi’ite Muslims, Christians and other communities who do not share their ultra-radical brand of Sunni Islam. In Iraq, the bodies of 150 members of a Sunni tribe which fought Islamic State have been found in a mass grave, security officials said on Thursday. Islamic State militants took the men from their villages to the city of Ramadi and killed them on Wednesday night. The United States and its allies in the coalition have made clear they do not plan to send troops to fight Islamic State in Syria or Iraq, but they need fighters on the ground to capitalise on their air strikes.
Syrian Kurds have called for the international community to provide them with heavier weapons and munitions and they have received an air drop from the United States. But Turkey accuses Kurdish groups in Kobani of links to the militant PKK (Kurdistan Workers’ Party), which has fought a three-decade insurgency against the Turkish state and is regarded as a terrorist group by Ankara, Washington and the European Union. Ankara fears Syria’s Kurds will exploit the chaos by following their brethren in Iraq and seeking to carve out an independent state in northern Syria, emboldening PKK militants in Turkey and derailing a fragile peace process. -

CHITRANGADA TURNS PRODUCER
Biopics on sportspersons have become common in Bollywood. After the success of Rakyesh Omprakash Mehra’s Bhaag Milkha Bhaag on the Flying Sikh and Sanjay Leela Bhansali’s Mary Kom on the boxing legend, Chitrangada Singh has turned producer with a film on Sandeep Singh. She has bought the rights to his life story. The hockey whiz-kid confirmed the news, saying, “It feels great that I will watch my life unveil on celluloid soon. I have known Chitrangada for years, she is a friend.” The former captain of the Indian national team, a penalty corner specialist, was injured on August 22, 2006. He was felled by an accidental gunshot while on his way to join the national team that was flying out to Germany for the World Cup two days later. He was on the wheelchair for two years but not only recovered but rejoined the team too. The director is yet to be finalised.Chitrangada is definite that she will not act in her debut production.
-

Huma Qureshi has turned item girl
Huma Qureshi, who usually chooses roles with gravitas, has been bitten by the item number bug. She has reportedly agreed to doing a special appearance in the Freida Pinto-starrer ‘Trishna’ and will be seen in a jazzy avatar gyrating to the number ‘Sada Vada High Maintenance’. When contacted, Ajay Dhama, one of the co-producers, confirmed the development.
-

Happy New Year
Cast: Shah Rukh Khan, Deepika Padukone, Abhishek Bachchan, Boman Irani, Sonu Sood, Vivaan Shah, Jackie Shroff
Direction: Farah Khan
Genre: Drama
Duration: 2 hours 59 minutes
STORY: Six losers in an international dance championship, with an ulterior motive. An elaborate diamond robbery.
REVIEW: It’s ‘Happy New Year’ time. So, Happy Diwali! And it’s all about everything happy, happy. So let’s stick to being ‘slap happy’. Hence, the good things first. The extra Happy Ending, with the cutest scene in the movie being producers, Gauri and SRK’s beautiful baby Abram looking angelic. And an appearance by director Farah Khan’s terrific triplets.
Throw in Abhishek Bachchan’s tapori snake dance and bouts of ‘Englis’ speaking. Add on Shah Rukh’s dimpled charm (unmissable greased fababs – gets a lot of close-ups); and yes, Deepika’s glossy, massy ‘Lovely’ dance number. But hold on, review abhi baki hai mere dost. Charlie (SRK), with his suave English and blonde streak (but Indiawaale heart) has devised a heist. He gathers his team of Charlie’s Angels, with Jag (Sood), the ex-military, muscle man (he beats Charlie on the abshow). Tammy (Irani), a safe-cracker who gets occasional epileptic attacks of 30 seconds.
Mohini (Padukone), a bar-dancer, obsessed with angrezi speaking men; so she falls in love with Charlie (obviously). And Nandu Bhide (dimaag mein keede), the boisterous bewda who dishes out the best laughs in the film. And Rohan (Shah) the nerd hacker who cracks the codes. The gameplan is to participate in the World Dance Championship, on New Year’s eve; but the ultimate goal is to break into the Shalimar vault (mera pyaar Shalimar) to rob diamonds, from the closed fist of Charan Grover (Shroff).
The story is simple, perched on a lavish canvas – glitzy, glamorous, gorgeous bodies (read: male torso) and with self-deprecating humour which stands out and entertains in parts (a recap of moments from SRK’s own films!). The first half spends too much time setting a plot that’s fairly uncomplicated. It’s not a film about an ingenious heist (far from ‘Oceans Eleven’) or dance, it’s a film about everything genuinely Bollywood – where logic gets a ‘fit’, gloss covers up the glitches, cameos creep in without a warning; and the rest of the plot finds comfort in the hero’s hot-bod (anything from 6 to 8 packs – take your pick!) and outstretched arms. The cast pulls off their acts well; and leave you with some feel-good moments, but not enough to last three long hours. -

1984 SIKH MASSACRE: AN ENDLESS WAIT FOR JUSTICE
Nearly 3,000 members of India’s Sikh community were massacred after the assassination of Prime Minister Indira Gandhi by her two Sikh bodyguards on 31 October 1984. The wave of ethnic cleansing which raged unhindered across the country, especially in Delhi, after Mrs Gandhi was shot dead ended only with her cremation on 2 November. During these three days, droves of Sikhs were determinedly hunted down by Hindu mobs from their homes, corralled and slaughtered like animals.
The trigger for Mrs Gandhi’s killing was the storming of the Golden Temple in Sikhism’s holy city Amritsar four months earlier to flush out Sikh militants fighting for an independent homeland of Khalistan or Land of the Pure. The heavily-armed militants – many of them former soldiers – had barricaded themselves inside the temple and were dislodged only after three days of bitter fighting. Some 1,000 people, including women and children pilgrims and about 157 soldiers, died.

Tanks too were employed to end the siege, leaving Sikhs highly aggrieved. The eventual and possibly avoidable storming of the Golden Temple generated a wave of violence leading to Mrs Gandhi’s assassination, the anti-Sikh riots and a vicious insurgency across Punjab that was eventually stamped out by the military around 1993, although not without widespread human rights abuses.
But, the 1984 Delhi riots rocked the world, more so for the state’s direct involvement and public justification of the blood-letting. Reacting to the continuing Sikh killings in Delhi and other places, newly appointed Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi declared at a massive rally in the capital that “once a mighty tree falls, it is only natural that the earth around it shakes”. One of the worst massacres took place in two narrow alleys in the city’s poor Trilokpuri colony where some 350 Sikhs, including women and children, were casually butchered over 72 hours.

The charred and hacked remains of the hundreds that perished in Trilokpuri’s Block 32 on the smoky and dank evening of 2 November 1984 were stark testimony to the unimpeded and seemingly endless massacre. Soon after news of Mrs Gandhi’s killing by her Sikh bodyguards spread, Hindu mobs swung into action – like they did elsewhere in the city armed with voters’ lists – in Trilokpuri against the low caste Sikhs inhabiting oneroomed tenements on either side of two narrow alleyways barely 150 yards long.
With local police connivance they blocked entry to the neighborhood with massive concrete water pipes and stationed guards armed with sticks atop them. For the next three days marauding groups armed with cleavers, scythes, kitchen knives and scissors took breaks to eat and regroup in between executing their bloodthirsty mission. No one spoke and nothing, except the bizarre, dancing shadows moved during this surrealistic interlude. The police arrived in Trilokpuri 24 hours later when a newspaper revealed the horrific massacre. Sadly, there were no Sikhs left to protect.
Tragic stories
BHAGWANI KAUR, RIOT VICTIM On November 1 morning, there was stone-pelting between both parties (Sikhs and non-Sikhs) in Trilokpuri area. When the police came, they first cordoned off the area and then indicated the non-Sikhs to go ahead. Rioters barged into our homes, pulled out utensils and other goods and looted our homes. The men were dragged out by their hair and killed. On the third day, trucks were brought in, the bodies were taken away and dumped in the Yamuna.
‘They threw my father from top floor’ Paramjeet Kaur, lost her father and three uncles in riots I was just 11 years old in 1984. My father, three of my uncles, a brother-in-law and a cousin were killed in the riots. One of my cousins tried to hide on the windowsill but he couldn’t escape. The rioters burnt him alive. I still remember the ghastly scene. My father was thrown from the top floor. His head was smashed. My younger brothers were made to wear girls’ dresses to escape. The women, my two sisters and 3-4 other women, had a horrific time.
‘When will we get justice?’
HUKM SINGH, lost his two toddler sons, a brotherI lost my two sons — four and two-and-a-half years — and a brother at Jagatpuri during the three-day rioting in 1984. They were among the 11 people from three families in our building to be killed. My landlord and his family were killed. My plyboard factory in Radhapuri was set afire.
Timeline of events
November 1984: Sikhs were killed in the riots following the assassination of then prime minister Indira Gandhi Oct 31, 1984.
Feb 8, 2005: Justice G.T. Nanavati Commission appointed to look into the 1984 anti-Sikh riots, submits its report.
October 2005: A case is registered by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) on the recommendation of the Nanawati Commission.
Feb 1, 2010: Court issues summons against Sajjan Kumar and seven other accused — Balwan Khokkar, Mahender Yadav, Girdhari Lal, Kishan Khokkar, Captain Bhagmal, Maha Singh and Santosh Rani. Six accused are alive and facing trial.
Feb 8, 2010: Delhi High court appoints special public prosecutor R.S. Cheema to conduct the trial on a daily basis so that the proceedings can be concluded in six months.
Feb 15, 2010: Sajjan Kumar’s anticipatory bail rejected by additional sessions judge.
Feb 17, 2010: Non-bailable warrants issued against Sajjan Kumar
Feb 23, 2010: Sajjan Kumar untraceable.
Feb 26, 2010: Anticipatory bail granted to Sajjan Kumar by the Delhi High Court.
July 1, 2010: Prosecution produces 17 witnesses.Witnesses Jagdish Kaur, Jagsher Singh and Nirpreet Kaur identify Sajjan Kumar in court and depose against him.
June 2011: Prosecution evidence ends.
August 2011: Defence prosecution starts. They produce 17 witnesses, of whom six are officials from Delhi Police who depose in favour of Sajjan Kumar.
April 2012: Prosecution concludes its arguments
January 2013: Defence concludes its arguments and a judgment is pronounced.
April 30: District and sessions court acquits Sajjan Kumar, convicts former councillor Balwan Khokkar, former legislator Mahender Yadav, Kishan Khokkar, Girdhari Lal and Captain Bhagmal.
VICTIMS TO GET ADDITIONAL RS 5 LAKH NEW DELHI (TIP):
As the nation prepares to mark the 30th anniversary of the 1984 anti-Sikh riots, the government has said it would offer Rs 5 lakh each to the next of kin of the 3,325 victims. This amount would be additional to whatever compensations they have received so far. The Union Home Ministry has also approved a proposal to substantially increase compensations to civilians falling victim to communal, Maoist or terrorist violence from Rs 3 lakh to Rs 5 lakh.
Compensation to the anti-Sikh riot victims, which would cost the exchequer an additional Rs 166.25 crore, will be dispersed soon. The riots were triggered after the assassination of Prime Minister Indira Gandhi by her Sikh guards. The decision to disperse additional compensation follows petitions by several Sikh organisations to the NDA government. The previous UPA government announced an Rs 717 crore package for the Sikh victims, including financial compensation of Rs 3.5 lakh to the next of kin of those killed, but it could only spend Rs 517 crore due to dispute over claimants.
Home Minister Rajnath Singh also decided to increase compensation for victims of communal, Maoist and terrorist violence at a high-level meeting where the issue came up. “Till now the next of kin of persons killed or civilians who suffered permanent incapacitation as a result of violence were paid Rs 3,00,000 as per provisions of the Central Scheme for Assistance to Civilian Victims of Terrorist/Communal/Naxal violence since 2008,” an official statement said.
Families of victims are eligible for the assistance irrespective of previous compensations. Official figures reveal that the government had dispersed Rs 6.12 crore as compensation to civilian victims in 204 incidents of terrorist, communal and naxal violence in 2011-12 and Rs 3.99 crore in 133 incidents in 2012-13. However, no compensations could be given in 2013-14 and 2014-15 (till July) since state governments have not mooted the proposals.












