New Delhi (TIP)- India has tweaked visa rules to address the issue of a growing number of applications from Chinese nationals coming to the country for short periods for business activities without changing vetting procedures, people familiar with the matter said on Friday, Dec 12. After the two sides reached an understanding in October 2024 on ending their military face-off in Ladakh sector of the Line of Actual Control (LAC) and gradually began putting in place measures to normalise their ties, there was a rise in visas applications from Chinese nationals for purposes such as installation of machinery at factories, the people said on condition of anonymity.
While such applicants were earlier issued employment visas or “E” visas, which are valid for six months or more, a decision was made to give them business visas or “B” visas, which are valid for short periods, the people said. A decision was also made to grant these visas within three to four weeks, they said.
The changes will apply to nationals of all countries, but the people noted that Chinese nationals will be the main beneficiaries as the largest number of such applications are being received from China.
All vetting procedures for Chinese nationals, in which the Union home ministry usually plays the main role, continue to remain in place, the people said. There is also a quota for the business visas to be granted to Chinese nationals, they said, declining to provide further details. This quota is understood to be set by the Union home ministry. “The home ministry, the external affairs ministry and several agencies are involved in the vetting process and other decisions related to visas for Chinese nationals,” one of the people said. India had virtually stopped issuing visas to Chinese nationals after the start of the standoff on the LAC in April-May 2020 and the brutal clash in Galwan Valley a few months later that killed 20 Indian soldiers and at least four Chinese troops. It had also banned dozens of Chinese apps and virtually blocked Chinese investments in the country.
Earlier this year, the two sides agreed to revive the Kailash-Mansarovar Yatra and this was followed by the resumption of direct flights and easing of tourist visas for Chinese nationals.
The Observer Research Foundation recently estimated that the tougher scrutiny of Chinese business led to production losses of $15 billion over four years to Indian electronics makers, which import key machinery from China to make mobile telephones. Since the gradual improvement in bilateral ties, many firms have applied for visas for Chinese experts to come in and install specialised machinery imported from China.
India eases visa rules as Chinese applicants rise

Leave a Reply