NEW DELHI (TIP): More than 100 intelligence alerts were allegedly ignored by the Haryana government since June last year, leading to large-scale violence in February during a fortnight-long agitation by Jats seeking reservation in government jobs, multiple sources said.
The fresh revelations come before a one-member commission of former IPS officer Prakash Singh submits its report — likely by April-end — on alleged lapses by police and civil officials during the Jat stir. Singh had said this week that police inaction during the initial days of the agitation was “deliberate”.
The violent quota agitation by the community that constitutes 26% of the state’s 2.64-crore population left at least 30 people dead and more than 320 injured. Besides, property worth crores of rupees was damaged in arson during the agitation that left the state paralysed for nearly two weeks.
The state government last month approved a bill for providing reservation to Jats by including them under a newly-created backward class category.
The government on Tuesday shunted out director general of police (DGP) Yashpal Singal for alleged failure to anticipate the violence despite intelligence inputs. Additional DGP of CID Shatrujeet Singh Kapur was transferred to crime branch. By the end of February, IGP (Rohtak range) Shrikant Jadhav, along with two DSPs posted in Rohtak, were suspended for alleged lapses.