LONDON – A potential suicide bomber and his wife have been found guilty of planning a massive terror attack in London designed to coincide with the 10th anniversary of the 7/7 bombings in the capital.
The couple were interested in helping Islamic State extremists by bombing civilian targets in London.
Mohammed Rehman, 25, and his wife Sana Ahmed Khan, 24, were found guilty at the Old Bailey court.
- Sana Ahmed-Khan, 24, has been handed a minimum of 25 years in prison
- She and her husband Mohammed Rehman were planning to attack London
- The pair planned to kills dozens of people in Westfield or the underground
Prosecutor Tony Badenoch said both were interested in extremist ideology. He said Rehman wanted to demonstrate his support for the Islamic State group and that his wife helped him by paying for chemicals purchased on eBay.
He said the couple, who lived in Reading, 40 miles west of London, had a “common interest” in taking violent action against civilians.
Prosecutors said Rehman was only a few days away from finishing work on a bomb capable of causing mass casualties when police moved in on May 28. They say he had been stockpiling a substantial amount of chemicals and had detonated a small practice device in his backyard.
Susan Hemming, head of the Crown Prosecution Service’s counter-terrorism division, said the couple had needed only a detonator to carry out an attack.
Authorities said he had used the name Silent Bomber to ask Twitter followers to help him choose a target: “Westfield shopping center or London underground? Any advice would be appreciated greatly,” he tweeted.
The July 7 attacks carried out by four British Muslim suicide bombers killed 52 civilians and injured hundreds more.
Rehman was also convicted of possessing an article to be used for terrorist purposes.