NEW DELHI (TIP): The terror module involved in the Bodh Gaya temple blasts in Bihar could be a new one as the unexploded IEDs do not have not signatures of bombs that were used in previous terror strikes across the country, sources in the National Investigation Agency said. The sources said a preliminary analysis of three unexploded IEDs recovered from the Mahabodhi temple do not match with the IEDs that have been so far used for terror strikes in the country.
The NIA, which registered a case in connection the blasts, announced a reward of Rs 10 lakh for anybody providing information regarding the bombing suspects. Meanwhile, the state police said that four persons, including a woman, who were detained for questioning in connection with the blasts, were released as no evidence was found against them. “The four have been released after no evidence of their connection with the explosions was found during their questioning,” senior superintendent of police Manu Maharaj said told a news agency.
In New Delhi, Union home minister Sushilkumar Shinde, who earlier visited the blast sites along with Congress president Sonia Gandhi, said initial investigation showed the bombs were placed during night and three or four people could be involved. “We are conducting complete investigations. Three-four people may be involved…with a car,” he said.
Shinde said it seems small gas cylinders weighing two to three kg were used, and they contained nails and ball bearings. Asked about any involvement of Maoists, he said, “There are so many complex problems. Infiltration from other countries is there, Naxalites are there, local communal disturbances are there. We have to see all angles.” He also claimed that the Bihar government and police had been alerted about the possibility of a terror attack on the temple.
“On July 3, Bihar Police DIG (deputy inspector general of police) had taken a security review on July 3 and spoken to the local security forces,” Shinde added. When asked about the banned terror outfit Indian Mujahidden’s tweet claiming responsibility for the bombings, Shinde refused to comment and said the NIA would look into it.
Munde slams PM’s statement
MUMBAI (TIP): Criticising Prime Minister Manmohan Singh over his statement about the Bodh Gaya serial blasts, senior BJP leader Gopinath Munde said India should have “zero tolerance” towards terrorism. “After every blast, PM Manmohan Singh says that the government will take strict action against terrorists, but he has completed nine years as PM and no such action has been seen from him,” Munde said here, while paying homage to victims of the July 11, 2006 Mumbai train blasts.
Praising Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi for good governance, he said, “During the past 12 years, Gujarat has not witnessed even a single terrorist incident of riot. Modi has taken appropriate decisions, which the Central government should also follow.”