Ayon, son of Nilesh and Malini Shah was married to Melissa on October 5. The wedding reception was largely attended. Tom Suozzi, a former County Executive of Nassau County who is contesting election for the office again, also attended, as did the Indian Consul General Dnyaneshwar Mulay and a former Consul General Prabhu Dayal.
Month: October 2013
-

Ratan Tata, 8 Indian- Americans inducted in US engineering academy
WASHINGTON (TIP): Leading Indian industrialist Ratan Tata has been inducted into the prestigious US National Academy of Engineering in the US for his “outstanding contributions to industrial development in India and the world”. Tata, chairman emeritus of the Tata Group, was inducted as one of 11 new foreign associates of the private, independent, nonprofit institution that provides independent advice to the US federal government on matters involving engineering and technology. Besides Tata, eight Indian- Americans were among 69 new elected members taking the total US membership to 2,250 and the number of foreign associates to 211. Addressing the annual meeting of the group on Sunday, NAE president CD Mote Jr lamented that talented engineering workforce was not being given desired priority attention in the US.
At just four percent, the percentage of US engineering graduates among all its graduates is 1/3 of the European average (13 percent) and 1/6 of the Asian (India, Japan, China, Taiwan, South Korea, and Singapore) competitor average of 23%, he said. As part of its efforts to push its global reach, NAE has started bilateral “Frontiers of Engineering” programmes with India, Germany, Japan, China, and the EU and a new one with Brazil is scheduled for 2014, he said. The new Indian-American members are: Anant Agarwal, president, edX (online learning initiative of MIT and Harvard University) for contributions to shared-memory and multicore computer architectures. Murty P Bhavaraju, senior consultant, PJM Interconnection, Norristown, Pennsylvania for probabilistic reliability evaluation tools for large electric power systems. Ashok J Gadgil, director and senior scientist, environmental energy technologies division, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory for engineering solutions to the problems of potable water and energy in underdeveloped nations.
-

SIKHS Win Third Turban Case at the UN against France
NEW YORK (TIP): The UN Human Rights Committee (UNHRC) concluded that France has violated the religious freedom of 57 year old Shingara Mann Singh when he was asked to remove his turban for his passport photograph. Shingara Singh, a French national since 1989, was unable to renew his passport in 2005 because the French authorities insisted that he remove his turban for his ID photograph, which he refused to do. The UNITED SIKHS legal team took up his case in French courts and then retained O’Melveny & Myers LLP to file a communication on behalf of Shingara Singh to the UNHRC in December 2008. The UNHRC, in views dated September 26, 2013 and made public last week, said that France has failed to demonstrate that the restriction imposed on Shingara Singh is actually necessary. The Committee found that the restrictions result in a potential obstruction to his fundamental right to freedom of religion when he is required to appear in ID photos without the religious headwear he always wears, as he might thereafter be forced to take off his turban in public when going through ID checkpoints.
The Committee also observed that France had not explained why the act of wearing a turban covering only the upper portion of an individual’s head and forehead (but leaving the face clearly visible) makes it more difficult to identify the wearer, or why a bare headed ID photograph in Shingara Singh’s case would make it easier to ascertain his identity or to prevent fraud or forgery given that he wears his turban at all times when in public. “The Committee therefore must conclude that the regulations requiring him to appear in his passport photographs ‘with the head uncovered’ is a disproportionate restriction that poses a threat to the author’s [Shingara Singh’s] freedom of religion and thereby constitutes, in the present instance, a violation of Article 18 of the Covenant,” according to an unofficial English translation of the Committee’s Views. The Covenant was entered into force for France on 4 February 1981. “This is the third Turban case that the UNITED SIKHS legal team has won at the UN since these cases were filed against France in 2008, which shows that the international community recognizes that the wearing of turban by a Sikh is not only his/her religious duty but is a part of his/her identity.
We have done our work to show that international law recognizes the right to wear a turban in France. We now need to embark on a campaign to make France realize that it has to fulfill its obligations under international law to ensure that freedom of religion and belief is upheld for everyone in its country,” said Mejindarpal Kaur, UNITED SIKHS International Legal Director, who has been working on these cases since France banned the turban in state schools in 2004. “I have been a French citizen for more than 20 years. I continue to be proud to be French but I fail to see how my country can be proud of its slogan of Liberty, Equality and Fraternity if it cannot uphold its citizens’ fundamental right to religious freedom. I hope that the UNHRC’s decision will wake France up to its international obligations,” said Shingara Singh, who is struggling to conduct his life in France without an identity document. His driver’s license card too had been refused because of his refusal to bare his head for the ID photograph.
-

Tendulkar to retire after 200th test match
NEW DELHI (TIP): Sachin Tendulkar on October 10 announced his decision to retire from Test cricket after playing his landmark 200th match against the West Indies next month, bringing an end to the intense speculation about his future. The 40-year-old Tendulkar, who has not been in the best of form in recent times, has informed the BCCI about his decision to quit Test cricket after a glorious career spanning 24 years. “All my life, I have had a dream of playing cricket for India. I have been living this dream every day for the last 24 years. It’s hard for me to imagine a life without playing cricket because it’s all I have ever done since I was 11 years old. “It’s been a huge honour to have represented my country and played all over the world. I look forward to playing my 200th Test Matchon home soil, as I call it a day,” Tendulkar, who has already retired from the ODIs, said in the released issued by BCCI Secretary Sanjay Patel.
Tendulkar thanked the BCCI for its support throughout his career and also for allowing to walk into Test sunset at a time of his choosing. “I thank the BCCI for everything over the years and for permitting me to move on when my heart feels it’s time! I thank my family for their patience and understanding. Most of all, I thank my fans and well-wishers who through their prayers and wishes have given me the strength to go out and perform at my best,” he said. Reacting to the news of his retirement, BCCI President N Srinivasan said that he is one of the greatest admirers of Sachin Tendulkar. “We respect Sachin’s decision to retire but many of us can’t imagine an Indian team without him,” he said. “Sachin has been an inspiration for generations of sportsmen and not just for cricketers,” he added. There was intense pressure on Tendulkar to bid adieu to Test cricket after a prolonged form slump and particularly with the advent of a number of young players. Tendulkar’s 200th Test match is most likely to be held at his home ground in Mumbai from November 14. The Eden Gardens in Kolkata is also a contender for hosting that historic match. The BCCI has not yet announced the venues for the two Tests against the West Indies.
The fact that the BCCI squeezed in a home series against the West Indies had raised speculation that it was done to give Tendulkar the opportunity to retire in front of his home fans. Although Tendulkar had always maintained that he would continue playing cricket as long as he enjoys playing the game, the pressure of playing at the international level has gradually taking a toll on his ageing body. He recently retired from the IPL and the Champions League T20 event after his franchise Mumbai Indians won both the titles this year. Although the decision to retire was in the offing for some time, the BCCI release did create a flutter, prompting many former Test crickets to pay glorious tributes to the champion batsman who virtually held every batting record. Tendulkar has been the most complete batsman of his time and the most prolific runmaker of all time. His 198 Test appearances yielded 15,837 runs at an average of 53.86. From his 463 ODI matches, he had, under his belt, a whopping 18,426 at an average of 44.83. He is the only batsman to score 100 international centuries — 51 in Tests and 49 in ODIs.
Much before his debut on November 15, 1989 against Pakistan, Tendulkar’s precocious talent was there to be seen when he shared an unbeaten 664-run stand with buddy Vinod Kambli in the Lord Harris Shield Inter-School Game in 1988. His first Test century came in England in 1990 at Old Trafford and the Mumbaikar rose in stature after the 1991-92 tour of Australia, hitting sublime hundreds on a Sydney turner and a Perth minefield. Tendulkar was also the first batsman in the world to score a double ton in ODIs, a feat he achieved in Gwalior against South Africa in February 2010. This was included in Times magazine’s top 10 sports moments of the year. A perfect team-man, Tendulkar limited his Twenty20 ambition to the Indian Premier League, ruling himself out of national reckoning lest it upsets the existing equilibrium of the side. The biggest compliment to his batting came from Bradman himself in 1999 when he said that Tendulkar’s style of playing resembled his style. His 154 scalps in ODIs underline the fact that Tendulkar could have also staked claim to be that elusive all-rounder that India has been desperately looking for since the legendary Kapil Dev. In the field, he is among the safest pair of hands in the slip and his flat throw releasing strong arm saw him manning the deep with equal aplomb. He has taken 114 catches in Test cricket and 140 in the ODIs.
-

Asaram’s judicial custody extended till October 25
JAIPUR (TIP): A court in Rajasthan’s Jodhpur town on October 11 extended, till October 25, the judicial custody of spiritual guru Asaram Bapu, arrested for sexually assaulting a minor girl. The 72-year-old Asaram has been lodged in Jodhpur Central Jail since September 01. The court of the district and sessions judge (Jodhpur rural) will, meanwhile, decide on the plea by a Gujarat police team seeking custody of the jailed self-styled godman for questioning him in connection with a sexual assault case lodged by two sisters from Surat against him and his son. Armed with a warrant, the police team had moved a Jodhpur court on Thursday. The District and Session Court had adjourned the matter till Friday after the police team from Ahmedabad appeared before it with the production warrant issued against 72-year-old Asaram by a Gandhinagar court. The Surat Police had registered the two complaints – one against Asaram and another against son Narayan Sai – of rape, sexual assault, illegal confinement and other charges. The complaint against Asaram was transferred to Chandkheda police station in Ahmedabad as the incident took place in Asaram’s ashram here. A 16-year-old girl on August 20 lodged a police complaint, accusing Asaram of sexually assaulting her at his ashram near Jodhpur. Asaram was arrested from his ashram in Indore, Madhya Pradesh, and brought to Jodhpur on September 01.
-

Gunmen seize Libyan PM Ali Zeidan; free him hours later
TRIPOLI (TIP): Libyan Prime Minister Ali Zeidan appealed for calm Thursday, October 10 in his first public comments since he was freed after being abducted by militia gunmen for several hours, a CNN report said. In remarks to a Cabinet meeting broadcast on Libyan state TV, Zeidan said he did not want to see the situation escalate and urged Libyans to show “wisdom.” Zeidan’s abduction from a luxury hotel early Thursday highlighted the security threat posed by militias that have run rampant in Libya since the revolution that ousted Moammar Gadhafi two years ago. But the prime minister appeared to play down his kidnapping, characterizing it as an internal political problem. “I want to reassure the foreigners inside Libya that this issue happened within the context of political Libyan disagreements and the foreigners are not being targeted,” he said. Immediately after Zeidan’s release, Nouri Abusahmain, president of the Libyan General National Congress, said the prime minister was “in good shape” and “in good spirits” as he headed to his office. U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry, on a visit to Malaysia, said he had spoken with U.S. Ambassador to Libya Deborah Jones and Washington as the situation in Libya evolved, and would stay in close touch. “Our embassy personnel are secure.We’re confident about our abilities to keep them in that security,” Kerry said. The situation underscores “something that we’ve been really focused on in these last months,which is building capacity in Libya,” he added. It has been just over a year since U.S. envoy Christopher Stevens was killed in an attack on the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi, Libya.
-

AIA celebrates Deepavali at South Street Seaport
NEW YORK, NY (TIP): The New York Chapter of the Association of Indians in America (AIA-NY) hosted a Deepavali event at South Street Seaport, New York City on October 6th, 2013. The event lasted an entire day and was organized in order to celebrate the Hindu holiday, Deepavali, symbolizing the elimination of evil and the establishment of good. This was AIA’s 26th year celebrating this event at the South Street Seaport. In conjunction with the other colorful cultural events, the highlight this year was a record breaking bhangra party led by the famous DJ Rekha of Basement Bhangra. The celebration broke the Guinness record for the largest coordinated bhangra dance and DJ Rekha and AIA collaborated to make history. Pankhuri of the famous Star India Plus TV Show, “Pyaar Ka Dard Hain Meetha Meetha Pyaara Pyaara”, stole the hearts of the crowd. Omi Vaidya, famous for his role in the popular movie “3 Idiots”, entertained the audience with his presence. Later, Pankhuri and Vaidya came together to conduct “Main Bhi Star” in order to select a candidate to act in a future soap opera.

There were beautiful traditional dances held on the main stage at pier 16 while contemporary Bollywood dances rocked the stage near Water Street. Although AIA provided twelve food vendors in expectation of the large crowds that would be flocking to this event, there were still lines wrapped around the venue. Meena Bazaar sold traditional clothing and other items in big numbers. The weather was beautiful and enhanced the overall feeling of the event. All of the programs were seamlessly organized and coordinated well with each other and their respective audiences. The evening VIP hour was held on the waterfront with a spectacular view of the fireworks. It was attended by New York State Comptroller Thomas DiNapoli, Deputy Council General of India to New York, Dr. Devyani Khobragade, Congresswoman Grace Meng and New York City Comptroller John Liu. The Republican candidate for Mayor of New York, Joe Lhota, also stopped by to wish a happy Deepavali to the Indian community. Reshma Saujani represented public advocate and Democratic mayoral candidate Bill Di Blassio at the event and communicated his best wishes for Deepavali to the community. Awards of appreciation were distributed to all the major sponsors by Dr. Khobragade on behalf of AIA. The evening concluded with magnificent fireworks on the East River. The event was a great success overall and carried on the AIA tradition of celebrating Deepavali in New York City with pomp and splendor.
-

The AIA-NY DEEPAVALI is on 6th October at South Street Seaport
NEW YORK (TIP): The Association of Indians in America, NY Chapter (AIA-NY) hosts its 26th Annual Deepavali at South Street Seaport on October 6th, 2013 from 12 noon till 8pm (Fireworks at 7pm). Generally this event attracts 75,000 – 100,000 people from all corners of the tristate area. The weather forecast for Sunday October 6 is sunny 65 to 80 degrees, winds 9 mph. Given all the new things AIA has added to their event this year (see below), nice weather and the newly renovated pier 16 and a brand new pier 15, the turnout could easily go into 100,000 to 150,000 people. The Hindu Festival of Deepavali meaning ‘A row of lamps’ is also popularly known as Diwali, or ‘Festival of Lights’.

It signifies the triumph of ‘Good over Evil’. The festival is a full day celebration with numerous booths, vendors, performances and activities for the whole family including a live grand display of fireworks. At the Oct 6 event the Ambassador of Bhangra, DJ Rekha will lead the audience at 5 PM into an official Guinness World Record breaking attempt for the largest Bhangra party ever. With the ‘Main Bhi Star’ contest, participants get a chance to act on the big screen as they audition with leading lady Pankhuri (Disha Parmar) of popular Star Plus soap, Pyaar Ka Dard Hai…Meetha Meetha Pyaara Pyaara. Another attraction this year is Omi Vaidya (Chatur from 3 Idiots) who will be entertaining the masses with an exclusive comedy act at 4 PM.

Live Ramleela is on at 2:00 PM on the main stage. Famous singer Sharada is unveiling an exciting “Masti Ho” to curb childhood obesity with her live entertainment for children and then later a few melodies like “Jab bhi ye dil udaas hota hai”, and “Duniya ki sair karlo” for grown up audiences. Health fair booth shall have free screenings and free give aways. Mouth-watering delicacies from India, a designated area for Children, a holistic Health Fair, breath-taking performances in addition to a splendor showcase of Indian culture, arts and crafts, jewelry, traditional clothes and an evening of music and dance are some of the highlights that AIA-NY’s 26th Deepavali brings this year. The grand finale of the evening is the display of live Fireworks at 7:15 igniting the East River which is witnessed by over a million New Yorkers.

















