HYDERABAD (TIP): Hyderabad is the second best place in the world that one should see in 2015, according to an international travel publication. The Presidio of San Francisco in the US ranked first on the “Best of the World – 20 Places You Should See in 2015” list, published in the annual guide of ‘Traveler’ magazine of National Geographic. In the December 2014-January 2015 issue, the periodical ranked Hyderabad at second position on the list, which included cities Zermatt in Switzerland, National Mall in Washington D C, Corsica, Choquequirao in Peru, Sark in Channel Islands, Koyasan in Japan, Oklahoma City, and Maramures in Romania.
“Stories of Hyderabad’s poetic past weave amid strings of programming code in this South Eastern India city that was home to one of the richest men in the world, Mir Osman Ali Khan, the last ruling nizam of Hyderabad,” the periodical said. It goes on to talk about how Hyderabad has now become a seedbed for many global IT brands, the opulent Taj Falaknuma Palace, Irani cafes, fifth generation pearl merchants and other attractions. According to Andhra Pradesh Reorganisation Act, 2014, Hyderabad will remain common capital of Andhra Pradesh and Telangana for a period not exceeding ten years; thereafter it will be part and parcel of Telangana.
Year: 2014
-

Hyderabad ranked 2nd best place in world to see in 2015: Magazine
-

Pope Francis pleads for dialogue to end extremism on Turkey visit
ANKARA (TIP): Pope Francis on November 28 called for dialogue between faiths to end the Islamist extremism plaguing the Middle East as he visited Turkey on his first trip to the overwhelmingly Muslim but officially secular state. Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, who welcomed Pope Francis as the first foreign dignitary to his controversial new presidential palace outside Ankara, for his part issued a strong warning about rising Islamophobia in the world.
The visit of the pope is seen as a crucial test of Francis’s ability to build bridges between faiths amid the rampage by Islamic State (IS) jihadists in Iraq and Syria and concerns over the persecution of Christian minorities in the Middle East. “Inter-religious and inter-cultural dialogue can make an important contribution… so that there will be an end to all forms of fundamentalism and terrorism,” the leader of the world’s Roman Catholics said after talks with Erdogan. He said the world “could not remain indifferent” to the causes of the tragedies in the Middle East and appeared to indicate military action could be permitted with the proper legal backing.
While an “unjust aggressor” could be thwarted, the problem cannot be resolved solely through a military response, Francis said. Speaking in an overwhelmingly Muslim country which has a tiny but culturally significant Christian minority, the pope pointedly said all faiths should share the same rights. “It is essential that all citizens — Muslim, Jewish and Christian — both in the provision and practice of the law, enjoy the same rights and respect the same duties.”
Turkey’s own Christian community is tiny — just 80,000 in a country of some 75 million Muslims — but also extremely mixed, consisting of Armenians, Greek Orthodox, Franco-Levantines, Syriac Orthodox and Chaldeans. Erdogan — long been accused by opponents of seeking to erode Turkey’s secular foundations with creeping Islamisation — chose the occasion to make a characteristically strong-worded warning against growing Islamophobia in the world. “Islamophobia is rising seriously and rapidly.
We must work together against the threats weighing on our planet – – intolerance, racism and discrimination,” said Erdogan. He angrily accused the international community of “simply being spectators” in the face of the “state terror” of the regime of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad and Israel’s bombardment of Gaza earlier this year. “There is a double standard and an injustice,” he said. Turkey’s top cleric Mehmet Gormez went even further in comments after his meeting with the pope, expressing concern that Islamophobic “paranoia that has already been spread among Western public opinion” was being used as a pretext for discrimination against Muslims. -

At least 120 dead in Nigeria mosque suicide attack
KANO, NIGERIA (TIP): At least 120 people were killed and 270 others wounded on November 28 when two suicide bombers blew themselves up and gunmen opened fire during weekly prayers at the mosque of one of Nigeria’s top Islamic leaders. The attack at the Grand Mosque in Kano, the biggest city in the mainly Muslim north of the country, came just as Friday prayers had started.
The mosque is attached to the palace of the Emir of Kano Muhammad Sanusi II, Nigeria’s second most senior Muslim cleric, who last week urged civilians to take up arms against Boko Haram. The blasts came after a bomb attack was foiled against a mosque in the northeastern city of Maiduguri earlier on Friday, five days after two female suicide bombers killed over 45 people in the city. National police spokesman Emmanuel Ojukwu told AFP that the bombers blew themselves up in quick succession then “gunmen opened fire on those who were trying to escape”.
Ojukwu said he did not know whether the suicide bombers were male or female, after a spate of attacks by women in recent months, and did not give an exact figure on the number of gunmen. But he said an angry mob killed four of the shooters in the chaotic aftermath. Witnesses in the city said they were set on fire. An AFP reporter at the Murtala Mohammed Specialist Hospital morgue counted 92 bodies, most of them men and boys with blast injuries and severe burns. As night fell, hundreds of people were desperately trying to use the lights on their mobile phones to identify loved ones. But a senior rescue official said later that there were at least 120 dead and 270 wounded. Emergency workers were still trying to visit all hospitals, he added.
The Emir of Kano last week told worshippers at the same mosque that northerners should take up arms against Boko Haram, which has been fighting for a hardline Islamic state since 2009. He also cast doubt on Nigerian troops’ ability to protect civilians and end the insurgency, in rare public comments by a cleric on political and military affairs. The emir, who is currently thought to be out of the country, is a hugely influential figure in Nigeria, which is home to more than 80 million Muslims, most of whom live in the north. Officially the emir is the country’s number two cleric, behind the Sultan of Sokoto, and any attack could inflame tensions in Nigeria’s second city, which is an ancient seat of Islamic learning.
Sanusi was named emir earlier this year and is a prominent figure in his own right, having previously served as the governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria. During his time in charge of the CBN, he spoke out against massive government fraud and was suspended from his post in February just as his term of office was drawing to a close. Boko Haram has repeatedly attacked Kano. On November 14, a suicide bomb attack at a petrol station killed six people, including three police. The Islamists have a record of attacking prominent clerics. In July 2012 a suicide bomber killed five people leaving Friday prayers at the home of the Shehu of Borno in Maiduguri. The Shehu is Nigeria’s number three Islamic leader.
Boko Haram threatened Sanusi’s predecessor and the Sultan of Sokoto for allegedly betraying the faith by submitting to the authority of the secular government in Abuja. In early 2013, the convoy of Sanusi’s predecessor was also attacked. Andrew Noakes, co-ordinator of the Nigeria Security Network of security analysts, said the attack fit a pattern of violence targeting religious and traditional leaders seen as “allies” of the state. He said it was possible that the group carried out the attack as a direct response to Sanusi’s comments last week, although it may have been planned beforehand.
“Whatever the case, the group has sent a message to northern leaders that crossing them will have consequences,” Noakes said in an email exchange. Boko Haram attacks in recent months have ranged from the far northeast of Nigeria, across the wider north and northwest, using hit-and-run tactics, suicide bombings and car bombs. The authorities in Cameroon, Chad and Niger have all expressed concern about Boko Haram’s ability to conduct cross-border strikes, particularly as the dry season approaches. -

Tycoon’s wife gets $530m in UK’s costliest divorce
LONDON (TIP): The estranged wife of a London financier has been awarded $530 million in one of the biggest divorce settlements seen in a British court. Details of the payment to US-born Jamie Cooper-Hohn, 49, emerged after a draft judgement was given to lawyers ahead of a final ruling. Cooper-Hohn’s lawyers were reported to be considering an appeal to get an ever bigger payout. Cooper-Hohn had separated from hedge fund manager Chris Hohn, 48, after being married for 15 years and the two had fought over assets worth over £700 million.
Hohn had offered his wife a quarter of the fortune, but she argued that their wealth was the result of a partnership. The two, who met while studying at Harvard University and have four children, founded charity the Children’s Investment Fund Foundation to help the poor in developing countries. The son of a legal secretary and a car mechanic, Hohn was reported to have given away almost £1 billion between 2006 and 2011. He was knighted this year for services to philanthropy and international development. “Over the long term I am an unbelievable moneymaker,” Hohn told the court, but adding that he did not “really care about money” and that it did not bring happiness. -

MONA SINGH: I WANT TO DO THEATRE NOW
Starting her career with the small screen, Mona Singh gradually moved to films and the actress, who will be next seen in upcoming movie ‘Zed Plus’, says she now wants to try her hands in theatre. The 33-year-old actress, best known for her titular role in hit TV soap ‘Jassi Jaisi Koi Nahin’, said her costars in the Chandra Prakash Dwivedi-directed film, who have a background of theatre, inspired her to take up on stage acting. “I am doing theatre. It happened because all the actors of ‘Zed Plus’ are from theatre- Mukesh Tiwary, Adil Hussain, Sanjay Mishra, Kulbhushan Kharbanda. On the set of the film, I felt very out-of-place.
I thought I should also try my hands in theatre. It is very challenging, there are no retakes, no cuts on stage. I am doing a play next month in Mumbai. It is called ‘Unfaithfully Yours’. Hopefully we will travel to other cities as well,” Mona said. In ‘Zed Plus’, which is a political satire, Mona, who has earlier starred in films like ‘3 Idiots’ and ‘Utt Pataang’, will be seen in a deglamorized role. But the actress is not complaining as she considers herself lucky to get the part. “When I was approached for the film and sir (Dwivedi) narrated the story, I immediately said yes.
Such films are made very rarely. When you are old and look back at your career, these are the films that will be the high point,” she said. Mona will be seen playing the wife of Adil’s character in ‘Zed Plus’ and she said she went three shades darker for the role. “My character Hameeda is very controlling, dominating, aggressive, rude.. she is a typical village woman. I did not sport any make up in the film and I am also three shades darker. I play a shoe seller and had to look the part,” Mona said. The actress, who rose to fame by doing television, was last seen in daily soap ‘Kya Huaa Tera Vaada’, which ended in 2013.
Since then, Mona has abstained from doing TV shows and she said she would prefer to be part of shows, which have seasons. “I love acting. I will return to TV but it has to be good enough. Daily soaps get monotonous. I believe in seasons. It is starting here. It is a very good change as writers, producers, actors can come back fresh. It will take a while but it has started,” she said. -

NEHA DHUPIA: I WANT KARAN JOHAR TO DIRECT ME
Actress Neha Dhupia feels lucky to have worked in filmmaker Karan Johar’s upcoming production ‘Ungli’ and now wishes to be a part of film that is directed by him. The 34-year-old ‘Phas Gaye Re Obama’ actress is a fan of Johar’s films and wants to be directed by him in a glossy entertainer. “I feel lucky that I got to work in Dharma Productions film. It is fantastic to work in Karan’s production and I love his films. He is on my wish list of all those directors I want to work with. I love his glossy entertainers.
I would love to be directed by him in such a film. I really liked his ‘Student of The Year’,” Neha said. Johar was one of the reasons Neha signed ‘Ungli’, directed by Rensil D’Silva and co-starring Emraan Hashmi, Kangana Ranaut and Randeep Hooda. “I had more than one reason to be a part of this film, it has a fantastic producer, an amazing director and a lovely cast. Emraan, Kangana and Randeep are such chilled out people that it is easy to bond with them. We all are easy going people so it was a lot of fun on the sets. I am glad to have done ‘Ungli’,” she said. -

Runner who drank urine, bat blood to survive in desert
ALGERIA (TIP): A marathon runner has revealed how he survived in the Sahara desert for over a week by drinking bat blood and his urine. The Marathon des Sables — a six-day, 155-mile race through the Sahara desert — is notoriously tough. So much so that former Olympic pentathlete Mauro Prosperi had to sign a form before he took part telling organizers where he wanted to be buried if he died.
Today , the Marathon des Sables has up 1,300 participants, but when Prosperi signed up he was one of only 80 participants surrounded by desert, and found himself running alone a lot of the time. Prosperi was making good progress at fourth place.But his luck changed when he was confronted with a violent 8-hour sand storm. For the next 10 days, he would have to fight to survive in the unforgiving desert using only a knife, a compass, a sleeping bag and a stash of dehydrated food in his backpack.
Prosperi’s survival instincts kicked in and he remembered that well-hydrated urine is the most drinkable. He was forced to urinate in a spare water bottle, which he didn’t touch until the fourth day he was lost. And to cook his rations, Prosperi urinated on the food in order to save his bottled pee to drink. On the second day , Prosperi’s launched a flare at a passing helicopter, but failed to catch the crew’s eye. After a couple of days, he discovered a marabout, a Muslim shrine where Bedouin nomads stop while crossing the desert, and stayed there for three days.
As he climbed the roof to fix his Italian flag to the roof, he discovered a colony of bats.”I drank their blood. I ate at least 20 of them, raw,” he said. Propser’s second attempt at being spotted by a plane failed, and the runner then decided to take his own life. But his suicide attempt failed and he decided to continue. During this journey , he devoured raw snakes and lizards, and tiny plants on dried riverbeds. Meanwhile, the organizers and his brother and brother-in-law were scouring the desert for him. -

Iconic Mexican comedian ‘Chespirito’ dies at 85
MEXICO CITY (TIP): Roberto Gomez Bolanos, the iconic Mexican comedian who wrote and played the boy television character “El Chavo del Ocho” that defined a generation for millions of Latin American children, died November 28, the Televisa television network said. He was 85. Known as “Chespirito” (ches-pee-REE-to), he changed comedy in Latin America, taking his inspiration from Laurel and Hardy as well as Mexico’s other transcendent comedian who eventually made it to Hollywood, Cantinflas.
The cause of death was not immediately announced. His two most famous characters were “El Chavo del Ocho,” who lived in the homes of Latin America and beyond with his barrel, freckles, striped shirt and frayed cap, and the naive superhero “El Chapulin Colorado,” or “The Crimson Grasshopper.” His morning show was a staple for preschoolers, much like “Captain Kangaroo” in the United States. He warmed the hearts of millions with a clean comedy style far removed from the sexual innuendo and obscenitylaced jokes popular today.
In a career that started in the 1950s, he wrote hundreds of television episodes, 20 films and theater productions that drew record-breaking audiences. His prolific output earned him the nickname “Chespirito.” It came from the Spanish phonetic pronunciation of Shakespeare —“Chespir” — combined with “ito,” a diminutive commonly used in Mexico that seemed natural for Gomez Bolanos because of his short stature. “Nicknames are the most essential in life, more valuable than names,” the actor said in 2011.
On Friday, Mexican President Enrique Pena Nieto tweeted, “Mexico has lost an icon whose work has transcended generations and borders.” Born Feb. 21, 1929, he trained as an engineer, but he was dedicated to writing from a young age. Talented both on the screen and behind it, he achieved smashing success in 1970 with the creation of “Chespirito,” a television show that included segments about “The Crimson Grasshopper.” The goofy superhero dressed in a red bodysuit and hood with antennae that helped him detect danger miles away. He completed the outfit with yellow shorts and boots, giving him the look of a red bumblebee.
The character, whose superpowers included shrinking to the size of a pill and dodging enemies, constantly repeated his signature phrases, “You didn’t count on my cleverness” and “All the good people, follow me.” In 1971, Gomez Bolanos wrote and acted as “El Chavo del Ocho” (“The Boy from the Eight”), a reference to the channel that broadcast the show. “El Chavo” proved so popular that reruns are still shown in multiple countries in Latin American and on Spanish language television in the United States. Many Latin Americans, living under dictatorships during the height of the show, found his underdog triumphs heroic in the face of authority.












