Month: January 2016

  • Steve Rao Elected Mayor Pro Tem of Morrisville, North Carolina

    Steve Rao Elected Mayor Pro Tem of Morrisville, North Carolina

    Two Indian-Americans Steve Rao and Satish Garimella were officially sworn in to the Morrisville, N.C., City Council earlier in December with the former also being elected as mayor pro tempore. Rao, who is perhaps the first Indian American elected to office in North Carolina’s Triangle region, had been considering a move to run for lieutenant governor, but decided to remain on for the duration of his council term that ends in 2017.

    With a 4-to-3 private vote in favor of Rao, the City Council elected the Indian American sales executive to serve in Mayor Mark Stohlman’s stead should he be out of town or incapacitated. Later, in a public vote, the council confirmed Rao to the seat by 6-1. “I assure the council I will give it my all every day,” Rao said at the meeting, thanking Stohlman and the entire council for the appointment. Rao continued by praising the council for its work in getting many projects done.

    Michael Schlink, who was also sworn in with Liz Johnson, spoke highly of Rao, who has never missed a council meeting in his time in office. “I think you’ve continued to bring officials and business leaders to the table to help residents in Morrisville,” he said at the meeting.

    A sales executive for tech company Alphanumeric Systems, Rao has also helped found a number of India-focused groups including TiE and the N.C. Indian Political Action Committee, and is also a founding member of the Morrisville Innovation Foundation and the HOTTovation program to help entrepreneurs launch their business ideas.

    A graduate of Emory University, earning his B.A. in political science and his J.D. from the West Virginia University College of Law, Rao was elected to office in 2011 and reelected in 2013.

    After edging out Vicki Scroggins-Johnson for the mayor pro tem seat, Rao still said he will need her help on the council. Garimella takes over for Kris Gardner, who did not run for reelection in November after claiming the then-empty seat a year ago.

    The Indian-American was sworn in by Stohlman on the Bhagavad Gita in lieu of the Bible, and was accompanied by his wife, son, parents and founder of the local Hindu Society of North Carolina Gangadhar Sharma.

     

  • Entertainer Bill Cosby charged with indecent assault

    Entertainer Bill Cosby charged with indecent assault

    MONTGOMERY, PENN (TIP): Bill Cosby was arrested & arraigned today, December 30, in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania on a charge of aggravated indecent assault in a 2004 case brought by former TempleUniversity employee Andrea Constand.

      Highlights

    • Single charge of aggravated indecent assault
    • Incident occurred at Cosby’s home in 2004
    • Victim “frozen, paralyzed, unable to move”
    • Charge punishable by five to 10 years behind bars and a $25,000 fine
    • Arraigned, doesn’t enter plea
    • Out on $1million Bail Bond

    The 78-year-old disgraced entertainer has denied all the charges and has fought the lawsuits brought against him. Cosby is still married to his wife, Camille.

    Cosby did not enter a plea, and bail was set at $1 million. A preliminary hearing has been set for January 14. Cosby turned over his passport.

    It is the first time Cosby, 78, has been charged with any offence after months of accusations.

    Andrea Constand says she was drugged then assaulted at the Philadelphia home of the former US television star.

    Dozens of women have accused him of sexual assault, dating back to the 1970s, but he has denied wrongdoing.

    Earlier this month he opened a lawsuit against seven of the women, accusing them of defamation.

    Mr. Cosby made no comment as he arrived at court to be formally charged.

    Cosby, whose legacy as a comedian has been tarnished by multiple accusations of sexual assault, faces one felony charge of aggravated indecent assault.

    New evidence

    The criminal investigation into Cosby in MontgomeryCounty was reopened in July after new evidence came to light, Steele said.

    The new evidence was court documents related to a civil suit that Constand filed against Cosby after prosecutors declined to seek charges against the comedian.

    Constand settled the civil case against Cosby in 2006.

    This past July — nine years after the civil case was settled — a judge decided to unseal Cosby’s deposition in that case in response to a motion by the media.

    In it, Cosby admits he had sexual relationships with at least five women outside his marriage, gave prescription sedatives to women he wanted to have sex with and tried to hide affairs from his wife.

    When the deposition was released and “we learned about allegations from other victims under similar circumstances, reopening this case was not a question,” Steele said. “Rather, reopening this case was our duty as law enforcement officers with a sworn obligation to uphold our constitutions and to uphold the law.”

    Prosecutors re-examined the original investigation in light of the new documents, re-interviewed some witnesses and decided to pursue the criminal charge.

    Here are the names of the 55 alleged victims 

    1. Andrea Constand | 2. Autumn Burns | 3. Barbara Bowman | 4. Beth Ferrier | 5. Beverly Johnson | 6. Carla Ferrigno | 7. Charlotte Fox | 8. Chelan Lasha | 9. Chloe Goins | 10. Cindra Ladd | 11. Colleen Hughes | 12. Donna Motsinger | 13. Eden Tirl | 14. Elizabeth (pseudonym)| 15. Heidi Thomas | 16. Helen Gumpel | 17. Helen Hayes | 18. Janice Baker-Kinney | 19. Janice Dickinson | 20. Jewel Allison | 21. Joan Tarshis | 22. Joyce Emmons | 23. Judy Huth | 24. Kacey (pseudonym) | 25. Kathy McKee | 26. Kaya Thompson (also known as Jena T.) | 27. Kristina Ruehli | 28. Lachelle Covington | 29. Lili Bernard | 30. Linda Brown | 31. Linda Joy Traitz | 32. Linda Kirkpatrick | 33. Linda Ridgeway Whitedeer | 34. Lisa (pseudonym) | 35. Lisa Christie | 36. Lisa Jones | 37. Lisa-Lotte Lublin | 38. Louisa Moritz | 39. Marcella Tate | 40. Margie Shapiro | 41. Michelle Hurd | 42. Pamela Abeyta | 43. Patricia Leary Steuer | 44. PJ Masten | 45. Rebecca Lynn Neal | 46. Renita Chaney Hill | 47. Sammie Mays | 48. Sarita Butterfield | 49. Sharon Van Ert | 50. Shawn Brown | 51. Sunni Welles | 52. Tamara Green | 53. Therese Serignese | 54. Victoria Valentino | 55. Angela Leslie

  • DDCA row: AAP, Kirti Azad intensify attack on Jaitley

    DDCA row: AAP, Kirti Azad intensify attack on Jaitley

    NEW DELHI (TIP): Finance Minister Arun Jaitley, December 30, came under fresh attack over DDCA affairs with AAP accusing him of pressuring the then Police Commissioner to
    “close” investigation involving a cricket club of a bank in 2011 while suspended BJP MP Kirti Azad claimed the SFIO probe report had recommended his “prosecution”.

    In a related development, the DDCA said it has decided to file defamation case against Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal and Azad besides other top AAP functionaries for making “wild and baseless” allegations of corruption against the cricket body.

    Continuing its offensive against him, AAP released two letters, purportedly written by Jaitley, to then Delhi Police Commissioner BK Gupta and then Special Commissioner Ranjit Narayan, requesting them to “fairly” deal with the matter and “close” the case since “DDCA has done no wrong”.

    The party also renewed its demand for Jaitley’s resignation in the wake of the “fresh disclosures”. The letter to Gupta is dated October 27, 2011 while the one written to Narayan is dated May 5, 2012.

    Senior AAP leader Ashutosh claimed that the letters “punctured” the Finance Minister’s repeated assertions that he was in no way connected with any wrongdoing in the Delhi and District Cricket Association, which he headed for 13 years till 2013.

    BJP dismisses allegations

    Reacting to the allegations, BJP spokesperson GVL Narsimha Rao asked as to what was wrong in Jaitley writing a letter to the police commissioner. “He was not even in power so the charge does not stick.”

    In the letter to Narayan, Jaitley is quoted as writing that “some persons have been repeatedly approaching Delhi Police with complaints in relation to the identity of the Syndicate Bank Cricket Club.

    “The complaints are completely unsubstantiated and do not disclose any offence. Certain office-bearers of the DDCA are feeling harassed by repeated questioning in this regard. I would request you to look into this matter so that it can be fairly dealt with and closed since the DDCA has done no wrong.”

    When contacted, DDCA said the club is under them and that it currently falls in the “institutional” category.

    “There are two types of clubs – institutional and private. While a private club receives a subsidy, an institutional does not and that is the broad difference between the two,” a DDCA official said.

    Azad, suspended by BJP for anti-party activities, claimed the Serious Fraud Investigation Office (SFIO) probe report had recommended “prosecution” of Jaitley in the DDCA affairs even as he targeted more politicians, including party MP and BCCI secretary Anurag Thakur.

    Azad also appeared to support Kejriwal’s allegation that a DDCA official had sought sexual favors from a woman if she wanted her son to be part of its cricket team, saying it was not a new thing and he had raised a similar issue in 2007.

    DDCA row-arunSFIO recommended ‘prosecution’ of Jaitley, claims Azad  

    At a press conference here, Azad quoted from the report of SFIO, which had gone into the Delhi cricket body affairs, to claim that it had recommended “prosecution” of Jaitley among others but it has not been done in the last three years.

    “Under the Companies Act, 1956, all the directors were to be assigned particular roles and if they are not, then the term (for action against them) is compounding. As many as 27 executive members, including Jaitley, were not assigned any role. Twenty-four of them, including Jaitley, did not compound.

    “So SFIO recommended that under Section 5 G of the Companies Act, the Registrar of Companies should prosecute them for not compounding. It shows the BCCI is above law. It has been three years since the recommendation but they have not been prosecuted,” he said.

    Hitting back at Jaitley who had called him a “Trojan horse”, Azad said, “these were the Trojan horses who did not let it come. Trojan horses in and outside the Cabinet. I hope it does come”.

    Asked to identify the politicians, he named Jaitley, Thakur, Rajeev Shukla, Jyotiraditya Scindia, Farooq Abdullah and Praful Patel. All of them were then, and most still are, involved in cricket administration except Patel, who is All India Football Federation president.

    Referring to Thakur, the three-time MP from Darbhagna said, “You cannot wear two caps. This is a conflict of interest. Either you are in Parliament or you are associated with a sports association.”

    Refuting the fresh allegations by Azad and AAP leaders, DDCA said it will sue them having “defamed” the organization.

    Addressing a press conference where all top DDCA officials were present, acting president Chetan Chauhan said that a lot of “false” charges have been leveled against the state cricket body and it was forced to take legal recourse against those spreading such disinformation.

    Treasurer Ravinder Manchanda said DDCA will file a defamation case against Kejriwal, Azad and others who made the allegations of corruption and financial embezzlement in the DDCA.

    Chauhan said three agencies were already probing the cases against the DDCA and there was no need for a fresh probe to be initiated by the AAP government which has appointed a one-member Commission of Inquiry for the purpose. (Source: PTI)