European leaders have serious doubts about the scope of President Donald Trump’s “Board of Peace” but are ready to work with the United States and the newly founded body in Gaza, EU chief Antonio Costa said Friday, January 23.
“We have serious doubts about a number of elements in the charter of the Board of Peace related to its scope, its governance and its compatibility with the UN Charter,” the European Council president said after an EU leaders’ summit in Brussels.
“We are ready to work together with the US on the implementation of the comprehensive Peace Plan for Gaza, with a Board of Peace carrying out its mission as a transitional administration”.
The founding charter of Trump’s body for resolving international conflicts has a $1 billion price tag for permanent membership.
Although originally meant to oversee Gaza’s rebuilding, the board’s charter does not seem to limit its role to the Palestinian territory and appears to want to rival the United Nations.
Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez told reporters after the summit that his country had “declined” the invitation to participate in the body.
Police seek man wanted in fatal shootings of 3 in small Australian town
Police urged people in a small Australian town to stay indoors Friday as they looked for the man suspected of killing three people in a domestic violence-related shooting.
Julian Ingram, 37, was out on bail after being charged with domestic violence-related crimes, and a restraining order had been issued in December to protect one of the victims in Thursday’s shooting, Sophie Quinn, who was 25 and pregnant.
The others shot to death in the isolated town of Lake Cargelligo in New South Wales state were Quinn’s friend, John Harris, 32, and her aunt, Nerida Quinn, 50. A 19-year-old man who also was shot was hospitalized in serious but stable condition.
Ingram had a long criminal history including domestic violence and police had checked on him multiple times while he was out on bail, state Police Assistant Commissioner Andrew Holland said.
EU has ‘serious doubts’ about Trump’s ‘Board of Peace’
Comments
One response to “EU has ‘serious doubts’ about Trump’s ‘Board of Peace’”
-
thanks for info.
Leave a Reply