Tag: Bombay High Court

  • Collegium junks objections to Kirpal’s appointment: Reiterates names for appointment in Madras, Bombay High Courts

    Collegium junks objections to Kirpal’s appointment: Reiterates names for appointment in Madras, Bombay High Courts

    NEW DELHI (TIP): In a fresh round of confrontation with the Centre, the Supreme Court Collegium has rejected the Centre’s objections to the proposed elevation of senior advocate Saurabh Kirpal, an openly gay person, as a judge of the Delhi High Court and reiterated its recommendations for four other appointments.

    Maintaining that Kirpal’s appointment would “add value to the Bench and provide inclusion and diversity,” the Collegium has reiterated its November 11, 2021, recommendation for his appointment.

    “The fact that Mr Saurabh Kirpal has been open about his orientation is a matter which goes to his credit. As a prospective candidate for judgeship, he has not been surreptitious about his orientation. In view of the constitutionally recognized rights which the candidate espouses, it would be manifestly contrary to the constitutional principles laid down by the Supreme Court to reject his candidature on that ground,” a three-judge Collegium led by Chief Justice of India DY Chandrachud said.

    Brushing aside the IB reports, the Collegium reiterated its recommendations for appointment of advocate R John Sathyam as a judge of the Madras High Court and advocate Somasekhar Sundaresan as a judge of the Bombay High Court. Sathyan had posted certain material on social media, including one critical of the PM, while Sundaresan was “selectively critical” on social media on important policies, initiatives and directions of the government. “Expression of views by a candidate does not disentitle him to hold a constitutional office so long as the person proposed for judgeship is a person of competence, merit and integrity,” said the three-member Collegium – which also includes Justice SK Kaul and Justice KM Joseph.

    It made a second reiteration of its recommendation to elevate advocates Amitesh Banerjee and Sakya Sen as judges of the Calcutta High Court.

    “…after the Supreme Court Collegium reiterated the proposal on 01 September 2021, it was not open to the Department (of Justice) to repeatedly send back the same proposal which has been reiterated by the Supreme Court Collegium after duly considering the objections of the government,” it said regarding the recommendations for two appointments to the Calcutta High Court.

    The Delhi High Court Collegium had on October 13, 2017, unanimously recommended Kirpal – son of former CJI BN Kirpal – for elevation to the Bench and it was approved by the Supreme Court Collegium on November 11, 2021. However, the Law Ministry sent back the recommendation to the Collegium on November 25, 2022, for reconsideration, raising objections about his partner being a Swiss national and his sexual orientation.

    Noting that Kirpal possessed “competence, integrity and intellect”, the Collegium said his “conduct and behavior have been above board. The Collegium said, “…it needs to be noted that the decisions of the Constitution Bench of this court have established the constitutional position that every individual is entitled to maintain their own dignity and individuality, based on sexual orientation.” The Collegium, however, said it may have been advisable for the candidate (Kirpal) not to speak to the press regarding the reasons which may have weighed in the recommendations of the Collegium being sent back for reconsideration

    In a letter dated April 1, 2021, the Law Minister had said: “Though homosexuality stands de-criminalized in India, nonetheless same-sex marriage still remains bereft of recognition either in codified statutory law or uncodified personal law in India”. Moreover, it had been stated that the candidate’s “ardent involvement and passionate attachment to the cause of gay rights” would not rule out the possibility of bias and prejudice.”

    (With inputs from TNS and PTI)

  • Ex-attorney general Soli Sorabjee dies due to Covid

    Ex-attorney general Soli Sorabjee dies due to Covid

    Former Attorney General Soli Sorabjee, one of India’s finest legal minds, died of Covid this morning. He was 91. A senior lawyer and Padma Vibhushan recipient, Soli Sorabjee was being treated at a private hospital in Delhi.

    Soli Jehangir Sorabjee was born in Mumbai in 1930. He started his law practice in 1953 with the Bombay High Court. In 1971, he was designated senior counsel by the Supreme Court.

    Sorabjee became Attorney General first in 1989 and then from 1998 to 2004.

    A passionate human rights lawyer,  Sorabjee was appointed a UN Special Rapporteur for Nigeria in 1997.

    He joined the UN Sub-Commission on Promotion and Protection of Human Rights and was its chairman from 1998 to 2004. He was also a member of the UN Sub-Commission on the Prevention of Discrimination and Protection of Minorities.

    Sorabjee served as a member of the UN world court or the Permanent Court of Arbitration at The Hague from 2000 to 2006.

    In 2002, he became a member of the Commission to Review the Working of the Constitution of India.

    The legal titan was involved in many landmark Supreme Court cases and argued for free speech and press freedom, limiting the police power of the state and a vibrant democracy protected from overreach by Prime Ministers and Governors.

  • BILKIS BANO CASE: HC SETS ASIDE ACQUITTAL OF 7

    BILKIS BANO CASE: HC SETS ASIDE ACQUITTAL OF 7

    MUMBAI (TIP): Setting aside the acquittal of seven persons, including five policemen and two doctors, the Bombay High Court on May 4 upheld the conviction and life imprisonment of 12 persons in the Bilkis Bano gangrape case. It, however, dismissed a CBI appeal seeking death penalty for three of the convicts on the grounds that they were the main perpetrators of the crime.

    Bilkis Bano said, “My rights, as a human being, as a citizen, woman, and mother were violated in the most brutal manner, but I had trust in the democratic institutions of our country. Now, my family and I feel we can begin to lead our lives again, free of fear.”

    A Division Bench of Justices K Tahilramani and Mridula Bhatkar, in a 430-page judgement, said while the probe conducted by the Gujarat Police was “flawed with a dishonest investigation”, the evidence and statements given by Bilkis Bano were “completely trustworthy”. Bilkis was gangraped in March 2002 at a time when she was pregnant. Seven of her family members were killed in Gujarat’s post-Godhra riots.

    “The appeal against conviction filed by the 11 convicts (one of them is dead) is dismissed. The conviction and sentence is upheld. The appeal filed by the prosecution against the acquittal of seven persons (in the case) is allowed. The acquittal is set aside,” the Bench announced.

    These seven persons — five policemen and two doctors — have been convicted for not performing their duty (Section 218) and for tampering with evidence (Section 201). Each of them were told to pay a fine of Rs 20,000 within eight weeks.