Chennai (TIP)- Drag-flickers Harmanpreet Singh and Varun Kumar scored a brace each as India began their campaign at the Asian Champions Trophy with a 7-2 win against China here on August 3.
Seven of the goals in the game came from penalty corners, with world No. 4 India converting six of their nine and China finishing one of four.
Apart from skipper Harmanpreet (5th and 8th minutes) and Varun (19th and 30th), the other scorers for India were Sukhjeet Singh (15th), Akashdeep Singh (16th) and Mandeep Singh (40th). Interestingly, all the scorers for the hosts hail from Punjab. E Wenhui (18th) and Gao Jiesheng (25th) scored for world No. 25 China.
The big win took three-time champions India to the top of the table, with Malaysia and South Korea second and third, respectively.
Earlier, Firhan Ashari struck twice as Malaysia defeated Pakistan 3-1. For Malaysia, Ashari scored in the 28th and 29th minutes, while Shello Silverius found the net in the 44th minute. Pakistan’s lone goal was scored by Abdul Rehman in the 55th minute.
The opening match of this edition saw defending champions South Korea beat Japan 2-1 in a close contest.
It all began in the sixth minute when Ryoma Oooka netted the opening goal of the tournament before Cheoleon Park equalised in the 26th, as both the teams went into the halftime break locked at 1-1. Just five minutes into the third quarter, JungHoo Kim put the Korean side in front. Source: Agencies
Tag: Chennai
-

Harmanpreet, Varun score braces as India hammer China 7-2 in opener
-

Indian-Origin Parents Plead for Return of Children from Foster Care in UK
LONDON / CHENNAI (TIP): An Indian-origin couple who won a major UK court appeal recently that prevented their children from losing their Indian citizenship are now appealing for authorities in Britain to allow their two minor children in foster care in Britain to be reunited with their family to live in India.
The parents, who cannot be named for legal reasons, are originally from Nagapattinam in Tamil Nadu and moved to the UK in 2004. They lost all contact with their children – a son aged 11 and daughter aged 9 – in August 2015 when they were taken into the care of the local childcare authorities in Birmingham.
Their case has been going through the family courts in Britain and last week, a UK Court of Appeal judgment concluded that the Birmingham Children’s Trust must seek the court’s approval before any attempt to apply for British citizenship for the children in the face of “parental opposition”.
“I am an Indian national. The children are Indian nationals too. We would love to go to India. We don’t want British citizenship for the children. We have made this clear,” said the 52-year-old father, a civil engineer struggling to make ends meet in Birmingham.
“The Indian High Commission supported the return of my children in the court proceedings,” he said.
The Consulate General of India (CGI) in Birmingham said it has been providing consular and legal assistance to the parents in their four-year-long legal battle.
“We had submitted in the honorable Family Court in Birmingham that the Indian Consulate wishes to provide assistance for the children’s welfare needs and provide the necessary arrangements to provide the Indian passports for the children and will fund the costs of the flights and transportation to India and overseeing their care arrangements,” the CGI in Birmingham noted in a statement.
The CGI said that it continues to offer support and monitor the progress in the case and had also assisted the parents to procure a home study report from the Child Welfare Committee, District Nagapattinam, regarding prospective custodians of the children in Tamil Nadu.
“We must understand that the case is sub-judice and any comments on this case may not be appropriate,” the Indian consulate noted.
The case was described by the UK Court of Appeal as a “challenging one for everyone”, with the Tamil-speaking parents requiring interpreters.In the latest appeal, the father was represented by prominent Indian lawyer Harish Salve, who argued that a change of citizenship marks a “fundamental change” and “matter of great moment”, which may or may not be in the children’s interests.
The reasons behind the children’s removal from their parents” care were not revealed in court but a previous ruling in December last year determined that the minor boy and girl must remain in long-term foster care for the remainder of their childhoods.
“My sole purpose of staying back here [in Birmingham] is to get my children released from the UK authorities and have them returned to India, whether with or to approved relatives… The children will lead a peaceful life with safety and security in India,” said the father, speaking in Tamil.
His wife, a 45-year-old Indian national also from Tamil Nadu, is now living in Singapore with her mother and the couple’s four-and-a-half-year-old daughter, born after she left the UK while pregnant over fears of losing her third child to foster care as well.
“Don’t I care for my third child well now? Their accusations are just false. They separated my children from me… I was not able to comprehend what was happening and I was just stunned. I asked for an interpreter since I could not understand English much,” said the tearful mother from Singapore, also speaking in Tamil.
In court, she was assisted by Delhi-based advocate Nandita Rao, described as a legally qualified “McKenzie friend” – or someone who assists a litigant in UK court proceedings by giving advice.
“In my personal capacity, as a person interested in child rights, I would suggest that the Birmingham authority ought to assess its capacity to preserve the nationality of children (who are not citizens of the UK) in the foster care system,” said Mr Rao.
“Nationality has a de jure part (i.e. identity in law) and a de facto part (cultural identity). The latter includes preserving the language, food habits, social and family contacts of the child. If the authority is not in a position to ensure the cultural identity of a child is preserved… the local authority should explore foster care for the child in his home country, unless the child is an asylum seeker or has a risk of persecution in its home country,” she said.
The local authority, the Birmingham Children’s Trust, said it was considering the implications of the judgment handed down by the UK Court of Appeal on August 6.
“We have received the judgement and we will be considering the outcome and implications in our future practice,” said a spokesperson for the Birmingham Children’s Trust.
Last week’s ruling had acknowledged that changing a child’s citizenship was a “momentous step” and not a routine matter.
“Changing a child’s citizenship is a momentous step with profound and enduring consequences that requires the most careful consideration… The local authority should now indicate whether it wishes to progress the matter, in which case we will give appropriate directions,” it noted.
-

New York Journalist Prakash Swamy accused of Sexual Misconduct by a Woman in Chennai; Swamy says it is an Attack on Media
NEW YORK (TIP): Dr. Prakash M Swamy PhD (USA) has been a senior journalist for the past 40 years having worked in senior editorial positions at The Hindu, India Today, Press Trust of India, Ananda Vikatan, India Abroad USA to name a few. He used to continuously write for Asian Tribune too Prakash M Swamy.
He is an accredited diplomatic correspondent to the United Nations for the past 10 years and serve as a senior journalist in Chennai and New York. He has a penchant for investigative reporting and studied as a special subject as part of his journalism degree in University of Florida. He worked closely with Bob Woodward and Carl Bernstein the architects of investigative reporting in the US.
Returning to India, he broke the news of first human belt bomb that killed former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi for The Hindu with forensic and scientific evidence that became global scoop of the decade, He was also mentioned as a fearless journalist by The New York Times and Committee to Protect Journalists (CPJ) in New York.
As part of his assignment, he is working on leads to probe into the death of a non-resident Indian -Mr Sainath, a top executive of a multinational Pacific Basin in Hong Kong. In the process he is gathering relevant information from the deceased’s parents, wife Gayathri Sai, his colleagues and friends.
It appears that Mrs. Gayathri Sai, 45, of Chennai, a movie group dancer and a former model, did not seem to appreciate Swamy following the leads and had directly and indirectly prevented him from pursuing the story.
When everything failed, she has gone to the social media to accuse Swamy, 63, of alleged sexual misconduct and flooding the social media with abusive contents such as video and audio recordings – all cooked up – with a view to preventing Swamy from pursuing his investigative story which she feared may implicate her.
Dr. Swamy has asked for evidence and solid proof from Mrs. Gayathri Sai like CCTV footage, building security register and verifiable independent proof of his misconduct. Without providing any of these and continue to level serious charges to damage his reputation and character on the social media without providing any credible evidence is a dangerous trend.
In the absence of any evidence, we are forced to conclude that these charges are motivated and an attempt to silence the senior journalist from discharging his official duty. Such assault on the freedom of the press can’t and won’t be tolerated. Dr Swamy says the criminal gang had asked for ransom money to keep quiet and no police action was taken despite complaint to Cyber Crime in June this year.
In the past, adversaries of the media used to send auto rickshaw with weapon slashing goons, throw acids on the face and now opponents take the easy way of digital terrorism to silence the media voice. We urge the Central and State Governments to ensure that the media persona is safeguarded against any kind of attacks that could be construed as brazen attack to silence the media.
(Source: Asian Tribune)
-

Indian diabetologist Dr. V. Mohan honored by American Diabetic Association
FLORIDA (TIP): Dr. V. Mohan, diabetologist and founder of the Dr. Mohan’s Diabetes Specialties Center, Chennai, has been bestowed with the Harold Rifkin Distinguished International Service in the Cause of Diabetes Award. This makes him the first Indian physician to receive the highest accolade conferred by American Diabetic Association (ADA).
A noted diabetologist, Mohan has been working in the field of diabetes in Chennai for over three decades. He is the Chairman and Chief of Diabetology at Dr. Mohan’s Diabetes Specialities Centre which is a WHO Collaborating Centre for Noncommunicable Diseases Prevention and Control and an IDF Centre of Education. He is also President and Director of the Madras Diabetes Research Foundation.
Presented in memory of Harold Rifkin, the award is meant to honor individuals who have provided outstanding service in the cause of diabetes. The awardees are usually doctors who have made an impact in the field of diabetes with an international perspective. The award also recognizes individuals whose efforts have increased the awareness of the burden of diabetes worldwide.
Mohan will receive the award during the National Scientific Achievement Awards Presentation Ceremony on the sidelines of the 78th Scientific Sessions of the ADA at Orlando, Florida.
Recipient of more than 160 awards, Mohan started working on diabetes as an undergraduate medical student when he joined his father Prof. M. Viswanathan a pioneer in diabetes in India. Together, they founded the first private diabetes center in India in 1971. He continued to work at this center till 1991.
Mohan and his wife, Dr. Rema Mohan, subsequently established their own diabetes centers under the name ‘Dr. Mohan’s Diabetes Specialities Centre.’ Currently, he oversees 20 diabetes centers and clinics in India and one international diabetes center in Oman. More than 350,000 diabetic patients have been registered at these centers.
In 2012, Govt. of India awarded Mohan with Padma Shri – the highest civilian award – for his accomplishments in the field of diabetology. He is also the winner of Dr. BC Roy Award from the Medical Council of India and the Basanti Devi Amir Chand Prize from the Indian Council of Medical Research.