Tag: Deepak Punia

  • Indian free style wrestlers miss out on Paris Games qualification

    Indian free style wrestlers miss out on Paris Games qualification

    Bishkek (TIP)- In a huge setback to Indian wrestling, Aman Sehrawat missed out on securing a berth for the Paris Games after losing his semifinal at the Asian Olympic Qualifier while Deepak Punia and Sujeet Kalkal were not allowed to compete after they reported late for weigh-in, here on Friday, April 19. Competing in 57kg category, Aman began in tremendous fashion, trampling his first two rivals—Yerassyl Mukhtaruly and Sunggwon Kim—by technical superiority but was pinned by Uzbekistan’s Gulomjon Abdullaev after falling behind by 10 points.
    A lot of hope rested on Aman, who has emerged as one for the future in a category in which Ravi Dahiya excelled. Among all the wrestlers in men’s free style category Asian Games bronze medallist Aman was the country’s biggest hope to win a quota place.
    Abdullaev began with a left-leg attack and converted that into a take-down. The Uzbek rattled Aman with a sensational four-pointer and within no time, the Indian was under pressure to make a comeback. It made him slow while the speed with which Abdullaev created opportunities helped him clinch the contest.
    Struggling at the edge of a circle to wriggle out of Abdullaev’s hold, Aman seemed to have given up and was pinned.
    In 74kg, Jaideep had a great start as he pinned Turkmenistan’s Al Arslan Begenjov but lost his quarterfinal to Kyrgyzstan Orozobek Toktomambetov on criteria after being locked 2-2.
    Sumit Malik (125kg) also lost his first round to Kyrgyzstan’s Lkhagvagerel Munkhtur by technical superiority while Deepak (97kg) faded in qualification round, losing by technical superiority to Arash Yoshida. This was after both Punia and Sujeet eventually managed to reach Bishkek after being stranded at the Dubai international airport due to incessant rain and flooding but could not report for the mandatory weigh-in on time.
    The organisers did not allow late weigh-in despite request from the Indian coaches.
    Punia (86kg), who had come close to winning a medal at the Tokyo Games, and Sujeet (65kg), were on their way to Bishkek when a majority of the flights leaving Dubai got cancelled or delayed because of the flooding at the airport. The duo, accompanied by Russian coach Kamal Malikov and physio Shubham Gupta, were forced to sleep on the floor and had no access to proper food due to the crisis in Dubai. Source: PTI

  • Sexual harassment allegations against Wrestling Federation of India President Brij Bhushan Sharan Singh

    Sexual harassment allegations against Wrestling Federation of India President Brij Bhushan Sharan Singh

    Protesting wrestlers threaten to move court; want WFI disbanded

    NEW DELHI (TIP): India’s top  wrestlers have intensified their agitation against Wrestling Federation of India (WFI) president Brij Bhushan Sharan Singh after their talks with the Sports Ministry failed. They said the government has given them an assurance but no “satisfactory response” and they will lodge multiple FIRs against WFI president Brij Bhushan Sharan Singh if the Wrestling Federation of India is not disbanded immediately. The wrestlers, who have accused the WFI president of sexual exploitation and intimidation, continued their dharna for the second day as more grapplers joined them in what they called was a fight to give “a new life to Indian wrestling”.

    They have also  been supported by seven khaps in Charkhi Dadri  who will march to Delhi on Friday, January 20, to express solidarity with the wrestlers.

    Late in the evening, Sports Minister Anurag Thakur rushed back to Delhi from Hamirpur to hold talks with the wrestlers. He assured them of “action if anyone is found guilty”. Earlier in the day, several wrestlers, including Vinesh Phogat, Bajrang Punia, Sakshi Malik, Ravi Dahiya and Deepak Punia, said they would file an FIR and, if need be, approach the court to press their sexual harassment allegations against the WFI chief.

    “We never wanted to turn it into a legal matter. All we wanted was to meet them (PM Modi or Home Minister Amit Shah). I dare the president to sit across me and tell me that our accusations are untrue. If we are forced, we will file an FIR,” Vinesh said during the second day of their dharna at Jantar Mantar here today. “He ruined UP women’s wrestling with sexual abuse. Now he is targeting Maharashtra girls, and we got calls from Kerala girls as well. They want us to keep the fight going,” Vinesh added. “Five-six girls will file an FIR tomorrow. It will be a black day in the history of this country. If girls like us can face such harassment then no girl is safe in this country.”

    Bajrang said they wanted the WFI to be disbanded. “If he (Brij Bhushan) resigns, he will hand over the reins to his own people. Even the state associations are being run by his people, they have to go as well,” he said.

    Rio Olympics bronze medalist Sakshi Malik, who was part of the delegation that met Sports Ministry officials, including Secretary Sujata Chaturvedi, said: “We were not told what action they will take against him. We are not satisfied with the response.”

    “We want the federation to be disbanded. We need a new start,” she added.

    A fiery Vinesh said that none of the wrestlers at the protest site would fight under the WFI as long as it was run by Brij Bhushan or his aides. Anshu Malik, among the youngest at the protest, said that during a tournament in Bulgaria, Singh Brij Bhushan made young female wrestlers, including her, “uncomfortable”. Incidentally, veteran CPM leader Brinda Karat, who tried to join the protest, was politely asked to stay away. “Neeche chale jaaiye please madam…. We request you, madam, please don’t turn this into a political matter. It’s an athletes’ protest,” Bajrang requested her. She quietly complied. The wrestlers will continue the protest until their demands are met.

    (With inputs from PTI and TNS)