In a stunning close to a largely predictable Oscar ceremony, Anthony Hopkins won Best Actor for his work in The Father over the late Chadwick Boseman, who died last year of cancer and has swept awards season so far for his performance in Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom. Chloe Zhao made history at the 93rd Academy Awards as the first woman of colour to win the Oscar for Best Director for Nomadland, which also won Best Picture. She’s also only the second woman in Oscar history to win the award after The Hurt Locker director Kathryn Bigelow. Frances McDormand, star of Nomadland, won her third Best Actress Oscar, matching Daniel Day-Lewis’ three Best Actor Oscars. Joining Chloe Zhao in the history-making category was Youn Yuh-jung, Best Supporting Actress for Minari. Daniel Kaluuya completed his awards grand slam this year with the Oscar for Best Supporting Actor for his performance in Judas And The Black Messiah.
The first Oscar of the show went to Emerald Fennell who won Best Original Screenplay for Promising Young Woman; Best Adapted Screenplay was won by The Father. The White Tiger, starring Priyanka Chopra, was nominated in this category.
Another Round, from Denmark, was awarded Best International Feature Film. “We wanted to make a film that celebrates life,” said director Thomas Vinterberg who made the film while facing a tragic personal loss – his daughter, who was cast in Another Round, died in a car accident. The official entry from India this year – Jallikattu – failed to make the shortlist.
Mank, which led the nominees slate with 10 nods, won two Oscars – Best Cinematography and Best Production Design. Sound Of Metal, starring Pakistani-origin actor Riz Ahmed, also won two of its six nominations – Best Sound and Best Film Editing. The nominations were announced last month by Priyanka Chopra and husband Nick Jonas.
The Oscars this year were historic at several levels – for one, it boasts the most diverse list of nominees in the history of the Academy Awards; for another, in addition to the traditional venue of Los Angeles’ Dolby Theatre, much of the ceremony is taking place at Union Station. This year, the categories of Best Sound Mixing and Best Sound Editing have been consolidated into a single Best Sound award. Also, there is no host for the award ceremony for the third year running.
Here are the winners of the 93rd Academy Awards:
– Best Picture: Nomadland
– Best Director: Chloe Zhao, Nomadland
– Best Actress: Frances McDormand, Nomadland
– Best Actor: Anthony Hopkins, The Father
– Best Supporting Actress: Youn Yuh-jung, Minari
– Best Supporting Actor: Daniel Kaluuya, Judas And The Black Messiah
– Best Original Screenplay: Promising Young Woman
– Best Adapted Screenplay: The Father
– Best Animated Feature Film: Soul
– Best International Feature Film: Another Round
– Best Original Score: Soul
– Best Original Song: Fight For You, Judas And The Black Messiah
– Best Documentary Feature: My Octopus Teacher
– Best Documentary Short: Colette
– Best Live Action Short: Two Distant Strangers
– Best Animated Short: If Anything Happens I Love You
– Best Sound: Sound Of Metal
– Best Production Design: Mank
– Best Cinematography: Mank
– Best Makeup And Hair: Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom
– Best Costume Design: Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom
– Best Film Editing: Sound Of Metal
– Best Visual Effects: Tenet
– Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award: Tyler Perry
Be the first to comment