Tag: frauds

  • Indian-Origin Pathologist Accused of Bungling Post-Mortem Reports in UK

    Indian-Origin Pathologist Accused of Bungling Post-Mortem Reports in UK

    LONDON(TIP): Indian-origin pathologist, Khalid Ahmed, has been accused of mis handling some post-mortems at a UK hospital and is under police investigation to establish if any criminal charges need to be brought against him. Ahmed, who worked as a consultant pathologist at the Royal Oldham Hospital in Manchester, carried out an undisclosed number of post-mortem tests for the north Manchester coroner’s office.

    An investigation revealed that he repeatedly recorded the wrong cause of death for patients, misidentified organs and potentially mixed up bodies, The Daily Telegraph reported.

    In May last year, the senior coroner at the north Manchester coroner’s office raised concerns about Khalid Ahmed’s examinations and a recent review found “significant concerns” with his “inadequate” said reports.

    Professor Simon Kim Suvarna, a consultant histopathologist at Sheffield Teaching Hospitals, carried out the review into Ahmed, who qualified as a medic in Bengaluru in 1989, and found some reports to have an “incorrect” cause of death given.

    Suvarna is also reported to have noted that Khalid Ahmed’s tests “do not even meet the standards that are expected for pathology students to pass the autopsy component of the final exam”, the reports said.

    A subsequent police referral was made by the coroner and that the police investigation is still underway.

    A spokesperson for Greater Manchester Police (GMP) said: “GMP is assessing what, if any, criminal offences may have been committed in relation to findings presented to the coroner.”

    Khalid Ahmed joined Pennine Acute NHS Trust in January 2007, but no longer works there.

    In a statement, the trust said after they were told of the coroner’s concerns, an “in-depth internal review” into Khalid Ahmed’s practice was carried out, which concluded in February this year.

    The trust added that a “thorough and extensive investigation” of Ahmed’s work for the UK’s state-funded National Health Service (NHS) work “provided assurance” his practice was “within the range of a reasonable pathologist”.

    The UK’s General Medical Council said he is still licensed to practice as a histopathologist.

     

  • Indian American woman sues Movie Producer for sexual harassment

    Indian American woman sues Movie Producer for sexual harassment

    NEW YORK (TIP): Disgraced mogul movie producer Harvey Weinstein has been sued by his former Indian American personal assistant who has alleged that she was subjected to sexual exploitation and a “sexually hostile” work environment while working for him.

    Sandeep Rehal, who was Weinstein’s personal assistant for two years from 2013 to 2015, has sought trial by jury in an 11-page lawsuit.

    For over two years Rehal was “forced to work in a pervasive and severe sexually hostile” work environment at Weinstein’s company and “defined by endless offensive, degrading, and sexually harassing actions, statements, and touching at the hands of her boss,” alleges a lawsuit filed in the Southern District Court of New York on January 25.

    A day later, on Friday, the court issued summons to Weinstein and his company to respond to the charges within 21 days.

    The 65-year-old film producer has been facing a number of other sexual allegations, many of whom have been widely reported in the US media including in the New York Times.

    The lawsuit alleged that Rehal “had to pick up Harvey Weinstein’s used Caverject shots, which he tossed on the floor in his office, hotel rooms and his apartment”.

    She also had to “pick up his used condom and clean up rooms” and semen off his couch, before housekeeping personnel would do their work, the lawsuit charges.

    “Rehal was required to be involved in and aware of the preparations for, and clean up after, Harvey Weinstein’s extremely prolific sexual encounters,” it alleged.

    “Throughout her employment with Defendants Ms Rehal was required, as a condition of her employment, to work with Harvey Weinstein when he was naked. On an almost weekly basis, she was required to take dictation of emails from him while he was naked,” the lawsuit alleged.

    Weinstein subjected Rehal to “unwelcome touching”, the lawsuit alleges.

    Almost every time she accompanied Weinstein in his chauffeured Lexus SUV, he made her sit in the back with him and touched her thigh.

    “After Ms Rehal started wearing pants instead of skirts, Harvey Weinstein would rub between her thighs. When Ms Rehal sat cross legged in an attempt to prevent him from being able to touch her thigh, Harvey Weinstein would touch the back of her legs and butt,” the lawsuit alleged.