Tag: Karoline Leavitt

  • Donald Trump will visit Canada for the G7, the White House confirms

    Donald Trump will visit Canada for the G7, the White House confirms

    Trump will be in Canada from June 15 to 17

    WASHINGTON, D.C. (TIP): U.S. President Donald Trump will attend the G7 leaders’ summit in Canada next month, White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt confirmed in a briefing.

    Trump will be in Canada from June 15 to 17. More details of his visit will be announced shortly, Leavitt said.

    On May 6, during Mark Carney’s meeting with Trump at the White House, the prime minister noted that the two leaders “look forward to meeting next month at the G7 Summit in Kananaskis.” The 51st G7 summit will be held from June 15 to 17 in Kananaskis, Alta., attended by the core members of the group. Also in attendance will be Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy and Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese.

    G7 shows unity at financial summit
    This week, finance ministers from the G7 countries, as well as heads of the World Bank Group (WBG), International Monetary Fund (IMF), Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD), and Financial Stability Board (FSB), participated in a three-day summit in Banff, Alta.

    They discussed global trade, artificial intelligence and the war in Ukraine.

    “After 50 years of working together, transcending national differences and promoting global prosperity, the value of the G7 is clear,” the communique reads. “We held a productive and frank exchange of views on the current global economic and financial situation, the risks and opportunities common to our countries, and ways to address them.”

    U.S. Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent, along with chair of the U.S. Federal Reserve Jerome Powell, represented the American delegation for this portion of the summit.

    Canada’s Finance Minister François-Philippe Champagne concluded the three-day meeting saying there was a sense of unity among the G7 members. “The best proof of unity is that we have a joint communique,” Champagne said.

    The communique does not mention Trump’s tariffs, but addresses the multiple, complex global challenges,” and “are committed to pursuing our shared policy objectives.”

  • AP sues 3 Trump administration officials, citing freedom of speech

    AP sues 3 Trump administration officials, citing freedom of speech

    WASHINGTON, D.C. (TIP): The Associated Press sued three Trump administration officials Friday, February 21, over access to presidential events, citing freedom of speech in asking a federal judge to stop the 10-day blocking of its journalists. The lawsuit was filed Friday afternoon in U.S. District Court in Washington, D.C. The AP says its case is about an unconstitutional effort by the White House to control speech — in this case refusing to change its style from the Gulf of Mexico to the “Gulf of America,” as President Donald Trump did last month with an executive order.

    “The press and all people in the United States have the right to choose their own words and not be retaliated against by the government,” the AP said in its lawsuit, which names White House Chief of Staff Susan Wiles, Deputy Chief of Staff Taylor Budowich and Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt.

    “This targeted attack on the AP’s editorial independence and ability to gather and report the news strikes at the very core of the First Amendment,” the news agency said. “This court should remedy it immediately.”

    In stopping the AP from attending press events at the White House and Mar-a-Lago, or flying on Air Force One in the agency’s customary spot, the Trump team directly cited the AP’s decision not to fully follow the president’s renaming.

    “We’re going to keep them out until such time as they agree that it’s the Gulf of America,” Trump said Tuesday, February 18.

    This week, about 40 news organizations signed onto a letter organized by the White House Correspondents Association, urging the White House to reverse its policy against the AP.