BEIJING (TIP): China and India have made “great positive progress to resolve the border standoff, with both sides maintaining close communication, a senior foreign ministry official said here on April 12.
The foreign ministry spokesperson Mao Ning’s remarks were further elaboration on China’s reaction to Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s recent statement in which he said that for New Delhi, ties with Beijing are important and the “prolonged situation” at the borders should be addressed urgently.
In an interview with Newsweek magazine, Prime Minister Modi expressed hope that through positive and constructive bilateral engagement at the diplomatic and military levels, the two countries will be able to restore and sustain peace and tranquillity at their borders.
“About the border issue, I can tell you that China and India are remaining in close communication through diplomatic and military channels and great positive progress has been made,” Chinese foreign ministry spokesperson Mao told a media briefing here responding to a question on Modi’s interview to Newsweek.
“We also believe that a healthy China and India relations serve the interests of the two countries,” she said.
“China hopes that India will work in the same direction with China to properly manage the differences and promote the bilateral relations forward on a healthy stable track,” Mao said.
This is the second time in as many days that China has reacted to Modi’s interview.
“It is my belief that we need to urgently address the prolonged situation on our borders so that the abnormality in our bilateral interactions can be put behind us,” Modi said in his interview.
“Stable and peaceful relations between India and China are important for not just our two countries but the entire region and world,” he said.
Mao while responding to a question on Modi’s interview on Thursday said that China noted Prime Minister Modi’s remarks.
“Sound and stable China-India relations serve the interests of both countries and are conducive to peace and development in the region and beyond,” she said.
On the boundary question, Mao on Thursday reiterated China’s oft-repeated stand that it does not represent the entirety of China-India relations, and it should be placed appropriately in bilateral relations and managed properly. (PTI)
Tag: Mao Ning
-
China says ‘great positive progress’ made to resolve border row with India
-
China slams Biden’s ‘irresponsible’ remarks on Xi
BEIJING (TIP): Beijing condemned on February 9 US President Joe Biden’s comments that Xi Jinping faced “enormous problems”, saying the remarks were “extremely irresponsible”.
The latest rhetorical skirmish between the United States and China came after last week’s downing of a Chinese balloon that Washington said was part of a spy fleet spanning five continents. Following a brief warming after a November G20 meeting between Biden and Xi, US-China relations have once again nosedived, with Secretary of State Antony Blinken last week calling off a visit to Beijing over the balloon fracas.
The US has alleged the high-altitude device — which crossed directly over at least one sensitive US military site — was intended for espionage.
China has angrily denied the claims, arguing it was a weather observation craft that blew off course.
On Thursday, Beijing confirmed it had refused the offer of a call between the two countries’ defence chiefs after Washington shot down the inflatable aircraft.
“This irresponsible and seriously mistaken approach by the US did not create a proper atmosphere for dialogue and exchanges between the two militaries,” China’s defence ministry said in a statement.
The previous day, Washington said the balloon was part of a “fleet”, adding they had been spotted around the world for several years and urged allies to step up vigilance.
In an interview with PBS NewsHour the same day, Biden defended the decision to shoot it down and stressed that the US is not looking for conflict with China.
He also said Xi had “enormous problems”, including “an economy that is not functioning very well”.
“Can you think of any other world leader who’d trade places with Xi Jinping? I can’t think of one,” Biden said. China hit back at the remarks Thursday, with foreign ministry spokesperson Mao Ning telling a regular briefing that Beijing was “strongly dissatisfied”.
“This type of rhetoric from the US is extremely irresponsible and runs counter to basic diplomatic etiquette,” Mao said, adding that Beijing “firmly opposed this”.
It also doubled down on its position that the balloon shot down last week was for civilian purposes, saying claims it was part of a fleet were part of an “information war” against China.
“The US disregard for China’s repeated explanations and communications, excessive reaction, and misuse of force are irresponsible,” Mao said.
(AFP)