
Tag: Mayor
-
Now Andrea Horwath, Sukh Dhaliwal to run for Mayor, Ravi Kahlon is not in run for BC Premier

By Prabhjot Singh 
Former Ontario NDP leader Andrea Horwath announces bid for Hamilton mayor while Sukh Dhaliwal is to run for mayor of Surrey Politics is a game of beautiful uncertainties. Essentially mandated to serve people at large, politicians are known for sudden shifts in their roles. The shifts are mostly induced by denial of roles they wanted to perform. Being a Federal or a Provincial Minister once, some find it little hard to subsequently adjust as an elected representative alone. There may be other reasons for changing priorities or offices they want to hold in a system full of opportunities for those who have enjoyed electoral success at some level. It keeps them moving ahead, eyeing new opportunities. It is perhaps the dynamics of politics that has seen many senior parliamentarians opting to serve their local communities as Mayors. Most recent example has been Andrea Horwath, who until last month was in the running for Premiership of Ontario as the leader of the NDP, is now running for mayor in Hamilton to help the city “realize its potential.” In British Columbia, long time MP from Surrey Newton, Sukh Dhaliwal, has also announced his candidature for Mayor of Surrey. Another former MP and MPP, Jinny Sims, too, is in the running for Mayor of Surrey, the second biggest city of British Columbia.
Mayoral elections are due in October.
Andrea Horwath, the former leader of the Ontario New Democratic Party (NDP) has announced to quit her post as Member of Provincial Parliament (MPP) for Hamilton Centre to enter the mayoral race. She says the work she has done all her political life is for her city of Hamilton. It would be a really exciting time to be part of the realization of the great opportunities that are ahead, she told select media ahead of her public announcement. Horwath joins three others in the race for the job: former mayor Bob Bratina, newcomer to politics Keanin Loomis and labor advocate Ejaz Butt. Current Mayor Fred Eisenberger announced last month he would not be seeking re-election.
Horwath, born and raised in the city, was Ward 2 city councilor from 1997 to 2004 before becoming Hamilton East MPP for the NDP. In 2007, she became Hamilton Centre MPP and eventually leader of the Ontario NDP.
During her time as leader, she helped the NDP go from not having official party status to being official opposition twice. The party won 40 seats in 2018 but the recent election in June saw that number decrease to 31. She announced her resignation as party leader the evening of June 2 within hours of the declaration of the results.
If she wins the Mayoral election, she will be the first woman in 175 years to do so. Many believe that change of course followed Horwath’s unsuccessful attempt to become Ontario premier. Coming to British Columbia, where the leadership race has been thrown open by Premier Horgan deciding to quit before next leadership election for which eight of Ministers have said no to join the race, decks are almost clear for the Attorney General David Eby to be the next Premier.
Olympian-turned politician and Job Minister Ravi Kahlon who was considered a possible choice for Premiership has already said he would not run . He has, instead, supported his cabinet colleague David Eby for the top spot.
After Ravi Kahlon made clear his position, several other Ministers including Finance Minister Selina Robinson, Health Minister Adrian Dix, Lands Minister Josie Osborne, Municipal Affairs Minister Nathan Cullen, Tourism Minister Melanie Mark, Minister of State for Infrastructure Bowinn Ma and Minister of State for Childcare Katrina Chen, have said they will not run for leadership.
This leaves the field open for David Eby. His election may be unanimous as of today there appears to be no other candidate willing to join the leadership race. Since no one was coming forward, the announcement made by David Eby about his candidature for the Premiership ended weeks of speculation over who might replace John Horgan as party leader and premier of British Columbia. Interestingly all other high-profile New Democrats have bowed out of this fall’s leadership election. As of now, David Eby looks the frontrunner and perhaps the only candidate for the leadership to be decided on December 3. Born in Kitchener, David Eby will turn 46 on Thursday (today).
Yet another Member of Parliament has decided to run for Mayoral post. This time, it is none other than Sukh Dhaliwal, the sitting MP from Surrey Newton. He made his decision known on Monday that he will be joining the race for the position of Mayor of Surrey, the second largest city of British Columbia. Before him, three MPs, including ex-MPs, have moved from federal to local politics. One of them, who was a cabinet minister in the previous Justin Trudeau Government, Amarjit Sohi, is Mayor of Edmonton.
Another ex-MP, Jinny Sims, who after a stint in the House of Commons, moved to provincial politics, has now decided to opt for local politics. She had announced her candidature for the post of Mayor of Surrey last month.
Bal Gosal, who incidentally was one of the first MPs, to try his luck in Mayoral politics, was unsuccessful in the Indian-immigrant rich city of Brampton from where Patrick Brown was elected Mayor in the last elections.
Incidentally, Patrick Brown, who was in the run for the Conservative Party leadership but faced “disqualification” on grounds of violating the election laws, has announced his decision to re-run for the Mayoral post in October.
The race for Surrey mayor, however, has assumed special importance as it is set to witness a quadrangular contest involving a former NDP MP, Jinny Sims, current sitting MP Sukh Dhaliwal, Councilor Brenda Locke and incumbent Mayor Doug McCallum.
Sukh Dhaliwal’s decision to move back from Ottawa to Surrey came after months of deliberations and speculation. “Over the last four years, we have seen divisive politics, unprecedented division, partisanship, no focus on the citizens of Surrey,” he said.
Calling Surrey’s current council “secretive” and “biased,” Dhaliwal added that he plans to “repair a divided city,” media reports quoting him from his Monday’s Press Conference said. Dhaliwal has run against Sims in three federal elections and was a key organizer for McCallum when he was first mayor in the 1990s. Dhaliwal announced his action plan while setting his election campaign in motion.
If elected, he says, there will be a roll back of a $200 increase to the yearly parcel tax that Surrey council enacted in 2020, besides “an immediate one-year tax freeze.” This will help the people that need the help now, because we are going through unprecedented uncertainty, he said. To meet the loss on account of tax cut, Dhaliwal hopes to meet it through Surrey’s accumulated surplus that would facilitate the changes. “We have accumulated wealth, almost $300 million and we can use that money that we have accumulated to make sure that we are able to help the ones that need the most by freezing those taxes,” he told a section of media.
Dhaliwal said he has no intention of reversing the biggest development of McCallum’s tenure — the transition to an independent municipal police force from the Surrey RCMP. While Locke is promising to overturn the transition and Sims has promised to study the details before making a decision, Dhaliwal says the move is too far underway to reverse now.
“It is my understanding that almost 300 people are already hired in the city police. We have come a long way.”
With Sukh Dhaliwal joining the race, it could split the strong Indo-Canadian community in the second largest city of British Columbia. If it happens, the chances of incumbent McCallum winning another term in office may brighten up. Academicians and other experts also hold that Surrey residents may also want a clean slate after McCallum dominated news headlines for many years in controversial ways, including a criminal charge for mischief that won’t be fought in court until after the election. The field is still open for more candidates to join the Mayoral race as a former White Rock mayor, MLA and MP Gordie Hogg, may also throw his hat in the ring.
(Prabhjot Singh is a veteran journalist with over three decades of experience covering a wide spectrum of subjects and stories. He has covered Punjab and Sikh affairs for more than three decades besides covering seven Olympics and several major sporting events and hosting TV shows. For more in-depth analysis please visit probingeye.com or follow him on Twitter.com/probingeye. He can be reached at prabhjot416@gmail.com)
-

Ranked Choice Voting Explained

Prof. Indrajit Saluja When New York City voters go to the polls on June 22 to select their party’s nominees in City elections, they will fill out a new kind of ballot that allows them to pick up to five candidates in order of preference in a system known as Ranked Choice Voting.
Is Ranked Choice voting complicated? Well, yes and no. If you think it’s a new thing which you cannot understand, you will not try to understand it and it will be complicated for you. But, if you think it is something new and you should try to understand, you will find it not so complicated.
Let us know, in very simple words, what Ranked Choice Voting is.
In primary and special elections for New York city offices, you can now rank up to five candidates in order of preference instead of choosing just one.
Ballots are tabulated in what may best be described as a series of instant runoffs. In the first round, if any candidate receives 50% or the vote, he or she is declared the winner, and the election is over.
If not, the candidate who finished in last place is eliminated, and any ballots that had him or her as the top choice are reallocated to the No. 2 candidate on each ballot. The votes are counted once again. If no candidate has yet reached 50%, the candidate in last place is eliminated, and his or her ballots reallocated, and so on, until someone exceeds 50%.
I asked my friend Mr. George Abraham, a voter in Queens, to share with our readers what he thinks of the Ranked Choice system.
This is what he said, “Ranked-choice works by having you rank your top five candidates. If no candidate receives 50% of the vote, then the person with the least number of votes will be eliminated. Those who had listed the eliminated candidate as their first choice will then have their vote go to their second choice. This process will continue until a candidate reaches 50% of the vote.
The system has been used for years in places like San Francisco, Minneapolis, and Oakland. Since most voters in the City are Democrats, the ranked-choice vote is almost certain to play a crucial role in the NYC elections. In the past, close contests were decided by run-offs if none of the candidates received at least 40% of the vote.”
Please keep in mind that you are under no compulsion to indicate all 5 choices. You can still vote for just your 1st-choice candidate. However, ranking other candidates does not harm your 1st choice. If your 1st and only choice is eliminated, your vote will have no influence on the outcome of the election.
Remember, you cannot rank your preferred candidate more than once (for example as your 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th choice), then only your first ranking will count. There is no strategic benefit to giving the same candidate multiple rankings.
Let us have a look at the benefits of Ranked Choice Voting.
There are several ways that Ranked Choice Voting could benefit voters.
One, it gives you more say in who gets elected. Even if your top choice candidate does not win, you can still help choose who does.
Two, it gives you more choices. You can rank up to five candidates, allowing you to support your favorite candidate without worrying about whether they’re likely to win.
Three, more diverse candidates win elections. Cities that have implemented Ranked Choice Voting have elected more women and more women of color, making their elected officials more representative of their communities.
However, city voters have expressed concerns, too.
Mr. George Abraham says, “One of the concerns expressed by many is that when the actual results will be made available. It is believed that there is a tabulation software that will be counting the votes, and the officials are expected to release the unofficial first-round results quickly. However, results may not be known for weeks due to delay in counting the absentee ballots. With the ranked-choice voting, the first-round winner may take little comfort knowing fully well that second choice accumulation of votes for another candidate could spell trouble for his/her real chances”.
NYC will only use Ranked Choice Voting in primary and special elections for the following city offices:
- Mayor
- Public Advocate
- Comptroller
- Borough President
- City Council
Remember the following key dates.
Early Voting: Sat, June 12, 2021 – Sun, June 20, 2021
Absentee ballot request deadline: Tue, June 15, 2021
Primary Election Day: Tue, June 22, 2021
Deadline to return absentee ballot: Tue, June 22, 2021
(Author is chief editor of The Indian Panorama)
-

NYS Unemployment Rate Falls to 8.2% in December 2020
Fifth Straight Month of Declining Unemployment Rates in New York State
NEW YORK (TIP): In December 2020, New York State’s seasonally adjusted unemployment rate decreased to 8.2%, falling from 8.4% in November 2020, according to preliminary figures released today by the New York State Department of Labor. The number of unemployed New Yorkers also decreased over the month, by 20,200, from 764,500 to 744,300. This represents the fifth straight month of declining unemployment rates in New York State, bucking the national trend. The U.S. unemployment rate held steady between November and December 2020.
At the same time, the number of private sector jobs in New York State decreased over the month by 22,100, or 0.3%, to 7,354,300. By comparison, the number of private sector jobs in the U.S. decreased by 0.1% in December 2020.
The number of private sector jobs in New York State is based on a payroll survey of 18,000 New York businesses conducted by the U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS). Monthly payroll employment estimates are preliminary and subject to revision as more complete data become available the following month. The BLS calculates New York State’s unemployment rate based partly upon the results of the monthly Current Population Survey (CPS) of approximately 3,100 households in the State. Note: Seasonally adjusted data are used to provide the most valid month-to-month comparison. Non-seasonally adjusted data are valuable in year-to-year comparisons of the same month – for example, December 2019 versus December 2020.
-

Indian American Democrat Lawyer Announces Candidacy for Cincinnati Mayor
WASHINGTON (TIP): Indian American Democrat and lawyer Aftab Pureval has announced his candidacy for the post of Cincinnati’s Mayor, promising to improve the lives of the people in the major US city amid the deadly coronavirus pandemic. Mr Pureval, who is the Hamilton County Clerk of Courts, confirmed his candidacy in a tweet on January 14.
“Our country is at a critical moment, and our city is too. And that’s why I’m so excited to announce my candidacy to be Cincinnati’s next mayor,” the 38-year-old Democratic Party politician tweeted.
“I’m running for mayor to bring executive experience & a record of improving government services to the table – starting with an economic COVID recovery that benefits every neighborhood in our city & a plan to restore trust in City Hall,” he said in another tweet.
According to a local media report, Aftab Pureval’s parents migrated from India in 1980 to Xenia, Ohio. He lost the race for Congress in 2018. “The truth is families are really struggling. Our city is at a critical moment and the progress of the last decade is at stake. We have to come out of the gate swinging after COVID-19 to get our economy moving again,” he was quoted as saying by the newspaper. The candidates in the fray for the post of mayor include four City Council members and a state senator, among others, it said.
-

Former New York City Mayor Mike Bloomberg Announces Run for President
NEW YORK(TIP): Former New York City Mayor and media mogul Michael Bloomberg officially announced today, November 24, 2019 that he was running as a Democrat in the 2020 presidential election.
In a statement and a video released today Bloomberg took aim at President Donald Trump, a fellow wealthy New York-made businessman.
In a widely released statement, Bloomberg took aim at President Donald Trump and urged voters to embark on “rebuilding America.”
“I’m running for president to defeat Donald Trump and rebuild America,” the statement read. “We cannot afford four more years of President Trump’s reckless and unethical actions. He represents an existential threat to our country and our values. If he wins another term in office, we may never recover from the damage. The stakes could not be higher. We must win this election. And we must begin rebuilding America. I believe my unique set of experiences in business, government, and philanthropy will enable me to win and lead.
In his first ad for his campaign, Bloomberg is painted as a champion of working Americans and the middle class, and despite his $52 billion net worth, he emphasizes how different he is from Trump, a fellow New York-made business magnate.
The ad highlights 77-year-old Bloomberg’s middle-class upbringing in Medford, Massachusetts, before the narrator said he “had to work his way through college” and built Bloomberg LP from “a single room to a global entity” before going on to lead job creation and development across New York City in the wake of September 11 in three terms as mayor.
Bloomberg has had a closely watched few weeks since it was reported he was contemplating a run and raised eyebrows across the Democratic field when it was reported he was planning to launch a $100 million TV ad campaign.
The billionaire has already had a turbulent few weeks since news broke that he was contemplating entering the race.
Last week, he appeared to take a campaign-trail style approach to publicly admitting fault and apologizing for the controversial “stop and frisk” policy practiced by his police force that a federal judge later ruled in 2013 violated the constitutional rights of racial minorities, though the former mayor had often defended the practice even after he left office.
Previous reports that Bloomberg was launching a $100 million TV ad campaign in several key primary states raised eyebrows as it marks the single biggest ad buy in American campaign history. Fellow 2020 contenders Sen. Bernie Sanders and Sen. Elizabeth Warren publicly admonished the news.
Bloomberg’s statements that he will not accept donations and will self-fund his campaign stands in stark contrast to most of the crowded Democratic field’s donor-driven funding.
The news had been anticipated since Bloomberg filed paperwork be in the Democratic primary in Arkansas and Alabama earlier this month.
Unlike Trump, Bloomberg appears to be poised to release his tax returns, as he routinely did while serving as mayor after initially refusing.
(Source: Agencies)