Tag: Meghan

  • Prince Harry and Meghan escape paparazzi in NYC taxi

    Prince Harry and Meghan escape paparazzi in NYC taxi

    A Sikh cab driver Sukhcharn Singh rescues the harassed family

    NEW YORK (TIP): Prince Harry and his wife, Meghan, were trailed in their car by photographers as they left a New York City charity event Tuesday, May 16 night, briefly taking refuge at a police station before being whisked away in a yellow taxicab, according to the media reports.
    The royal couple set off alarms when their spokesperson claimed Wednesday, May 16 that they had been dangerously pursued by paparazzi in a “near catastrophic car chase” through the streets of Manhattan. That account led New York City Mayor Eric Adams to condemn the paparazzi chasing them as “reckless and irresponsible.” Later, though, police said the pursuit was relatively short and led to no injuries, collisions or arrests, and warranted no further investigation. Still, it drove home real security concerns surrounding the royal couple and the trauma brought on by the death of Harry’s mother when he was just 12 years old.
    The cab driver who drove them from the police station said he instantly recognized his passengers and that paparazzi “were following us the whole time,” though he said he wouldn’t call it a chase.
    “They had this look on their faces,” the driver, Sukhcharn Singh, said. “All of a sudden paparazzi came out and started taking pictures.” Police issued a short statement confirming an incident Tuesday night involving photographers and the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, who were accompanied by Meghan’s mother.
    In New York on Tuesday night, the couple left Manhattan’s Ziegfeld Ballroom — where Meghan had just accepted the Ms. Foundation’s Woman of Vision Awards with Black Voters Matter co-founder LaTosha Brown — and got into an SUV as crowds of pedestrians and photographers gawked, according to video posted to social media.
    Harry and Meghan’s vehicle was then followed by photographers in a scene that their office said “resulted in multiple near collisions involving other drivers on the road, pedestrians and two NYPD officers.” The couple’s office called the incident “near catastrophic.” Police intervened and, assisting the couple’s private security detail, led them to a police station about 18 blocks from the ballroom, a law enforcement official said.
    The couple spent several minutes at the police station, waiting for the situation to de-escalate. Once it was safe, they left in a taxi, according to the official, who was not authorized to speak publicly about the matter and did so on condition of anonymity.“While being a public figure comes with a level of interest from the public, it should never come at the cost of anyone’s safety,” the couple’s office said in a statement. Singh, the cab driver, said it was one of the couple’s private security guards who flagged him down as he drove on 67th Street near the police station. Singh pulled the yellow taxi to the curb and in came Harry, Meghan and her mother.
    “They didn’t say much,” Singh said. “They just asked my name and then after that Harry said thanks and have a good day.”
    They paid $17 in fare — and left a generous tip.
    (With inputs from news agency reports)

  • ‘We’re not racist’, says Prince William after Meghan and Harry interview

    ‘We’re not racist’, says Prince William after Meghan and Harry interview

    London (TIP): Prince William said on Thursday that Britain’s royals were not racist after Meghan, wife of his younger brother Harry, said one unnamed member of the family had asked how dark their son Archie’s skin might be. Meghan, 39, made the allegation during an explosive tell-all interview that she and Harry, 36, gave to Oprah Winfrey and which was aired on Sunday, plunging the British monarchy into its biggest crisis since the 1997 death of Princess Diana, William and Harry’s mother. On a visit to a school in east London, William said he had not talked to Harry since the interview was broadcast just over three days ago. “I haven’t spoken to him yet, but I will do,” William, 38, said. Asked by a reporter if the royal family was racist, William said: “We’re very much not a racist family.” In the two-hour show, nearly three years after their star-studded wedding in Windsor Castle, Meghan said the royals had ignored her pleas for help while she felt suicidal, while Harry said his father, heir-to-the-throne Prince Charles, had let him down and that he had felt trapped. On Tuesday, Buckingham Palace issued a statement on behalf of 94-year-old Queen Elizabeth, the princes’ grandmother, in which she said the family were saddened by how challenging the couple had found the last few years. But it was the couple’s accusation that one of the royals had made a racist comment which has dominated coverage and has the potential to cause lasting damage to the 1,000-year-old monarchy.

    WHO SAID IT?

    Meghan, whose mother is Black and father is white, said while she was pregnant with Archie there were “concerns and conversations about how dark his skin might be when he’s born.” Neither she nor Harry said who had made the remark, although Winfrey later clarified that Harry had said it was not the queen or her 99-year-old husband Philip, who has been in hospital for three weeks while the crisis unfolds.

    “That conversation, I’m never going to share,” Harry said during the interview. “But at the time, it was awkward. I was a bit shocked.” In the statement from the queen, the palace said issues of race were concerning and would be treated very seriously, but pointedly stated “some recollections may vary”.

    The Palace has said that it was a family matter that should be dealt with privately. During the interview, Harry also laid bare how distant he had become from the other members of his family, saying his father had stopped taking his calls at one point, and that there was “space” in his relationship with William.

    “Much will continue to be said about that … as I said before, you know, I love William to bits, he’s my brother, we’ve been through hell together, and we have a shared experience,” he said. “But we’re on different paths.”

    The interview, watched by 12.4 million viewers in Britain and 17.1 million in the United States, has proved divisive among the British public. Some believe it showed how outdated and intolerant the institution was, while others decried it as a self-serving assault that neither Elizabeth nor her family deserved. — Reuters