Tag: President Donald Trump

  • Comprehensive Relief Bill is back on Table

    Comprehensive Relief Bill is back on Table

    Trump: “We’re talking about airlines and we’re talking about a bigger deal than airlines. We’re talking about a deal with $1,200 per person, we’re talking about other things”.

    Prof. Indrajit S. Saluja

    WASHINGTON (TIP): The deal under discussion would include new $1,200 stimulus checks, renew enhanced unemployment benefits, and provide $75 billion for coronavirus testing and tracing, among other provisions. When talks broke off Tuesday, October 6, Democrats were pushing for language ensuring a wide-scale testing strategy. Pelosi said Thursday, October 8, they were still waiting to hear back on that and that she had reminded Mnuchin of that.

    And Trump said: “We’re talking about airlines and we’re talking about a bigger deal than airlines. We’re talking about a deal with $1,200 per person, we’re talking about other things, but it’s not anybody’s fault, they were trying to get things, and we were trying to get things and it wasn’t going anywhere, I shut it down. I don’t want to play games. And then we reopened, and I see the markets are doing well but I think we have a really good chance of doing something.”

    The labor market remains weak, with another 840,000 Americans filing for unemployment claims last week, more than six months after the coronavirus pandemic began in the United States.

    It remains highly uncertain that any deal can be reached, on airlines or anything else. Talks have been on again and off again for months, but ultimately Congress and the administration have been unable to strike a deal since the spring when they passed around $3 trillion in aid.

    Multiple programs approved at that time have since expired, including enhanced unemployment insurance for individuals.

    The Cares Act from March included a Payroll Support Program for airlines that expired Oct. 1. Democrats have been pushing an approximately $25 billion bill to renew the program, but it’s unclear if the administration supports the Democrats’ approach and Pelosi has now dropped the idea of advancing it on its own.

    The developments Thursday, October 8, were just the latest confusing events in days full of them. While hospitalized at Walter Reed over the weekend, Trump tweeted a demand for a new stimulus bill, only to abruptly pull out of talks on Tuesday, a day after getting released from the hospital.

    He began backtracking within hours as a number of Republicans in tough re-election races criticized his move and urged him to re-engage.

    Trump said Thursday, October 8, he was hopeful the talks would bear fruit even though he commented that Pelosi is “not my favorite person, she impeached me for no reason.”

    Both the Democrats and Republicans are acutely aware of the immediate need for an infusion of financial aid to individuals and companies to enable them to survive. They also fear, a failure to come up with an aid may damage them in the elections. No American would like to see the daily bread being denied.

    (With inputs from Agencies)

  • Supreme Court rules  Manhattan prosecutor may see Trump’s  financial records

    Supreme Court rules Manhattan prosecutor may see Trump’s financial records

    WASHINGTON (TIP): In a pair of historic rulings on Thursday, July 9,  the U.S. Supreme Court rejected President Trump’s claim of absolute immunity under the law. The vote was 7 to 2 in cases involving grand jury and congressional subpoenas for Trump’s pre-presidential financial records.

    The Supreme Court ruled that a New York prosecutor is entitled to see President Trump’s private and business financial records, ending an intense legal battle waged by the president to keep them secret.

    The court said Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus R. Vance Jr. had the authority to subpoena the records from Trump’s private accounting firm. Trump had claimed an immunity from criminal investigations while in office.

    Vance is investigating whether the Trump Organization falsified business records to conceal hush payments to two women, including pornographic film actress Stormy Daniels, who claimed they had sex with Trump before he took office. Trump has denied those claims.

    Vance is seeking, Trump’s tax returns, among other records. The president has refused to make them public, unlike previous modern presidents. Because the records are for a grand jury investigation, they would not likely be disclosed before the election.

    However, in a second decision on the House’s request for similar information, the court appeared to question the breadth of congressional authority.

    The Supreme Court ruled that the lower court needs to consider separation of power issues related to the congressional subpoenas, suggesting that Congress did not have unlimited powers to investigate the president. That ruling was also 7-2, with Roberts writing the opinion.

    Trump was apparently enraged by the outcome, tweeting a string of criticism that “this is all a political prosecution,” and “Courts in the past have given ‘broad deference.’ BUT NOT ME!”

    New York District Attorney Cyrus Vance issued a statement calling the decision in the grand jury case “a tremendous victory for our nation’s system of Justice and its founding principle that no one — not even the president — is above the law.”

    Trump’s personal attorney Jay Sekulow took a more optimistic tone than the president in his response to the Supreme Court rulings on the president’s financial information.

    “We are pleased that in the decisions issued today, the Supreme Court has temporarily blocked both Congress and New York prosecutors from obtaining the President’s financial records. We will now proceed to raise additional Constitutional and legal issues in the lower courts,” Sekulow said in a statement.

    (With inputs from agencies)

     

     

     

  • Ambassador Taranjit Singh Sandhu to  have virtual interaction with Indian American Community of New York Consulate jurisdiction on June 12

    Ambassador Taranjit Singh Sandhu to have virtual interaction with Indian American Community of New York Consulate jurisdiction on June 12

    Prof. I.S.Saluja

    NEW YORK (TIP): An email sent to community leaders in New York Consulate jurisdiction, Consul General Sandeep Chakravorty  has announced that Ambassador Taranjit Singh Sandhu will have virtual interaction with the Indian American community leaders of New York Consulate jurisdiction on June 12.

    The meeting originally scheduled for June 11 was moved to June 12 in view of the preoccupation of many community leaders with the cremation of FIA chairman Ramesh Patel  on June 11 around the same time as that of the meeting.

    Mr. Chakravorty’s email reads: “Ambassador Taranjit Singh Sandhu assumed charge as Ambassador of India to the US in February 2020. Since he took over, while in one hand we have had a very successful visit of President Trump to India, on the other hand we all have been confronted by the challenge presented by COVID-19. In this scenario, normal interaction between Community leaders and Ambassador has not been possible. As the future looks uncertain with respect to travel and personal meetings, it has been decided to hold virtual interactions with Community leaders across USA. We are delighted that Ambassador Sandhu has agreed that the first meeting is held with Community leaders in our jurisdiction” .

    Ambassador Taranjit Singh Sandhu is not new to New York or Washington. He  served in the Indian Mission in Washington DC twice earlier. He was Deputy Chief of Mission at the Embassy of India in Washington DC from July 2013 to January 2017. Earlier, he was First Secretary (Political) at the Embassy of India, Washington, DC responsible for liaison with the United States Congress from 1997 to 2000. He has also been at the Permanent Mission of India to United Nations, New York from July 2005 to February 2009.

    Prior to his current assignment in Washington DC, Ambassador Sandhu was High Commissioner of India to Sri Lanka from January 2017 to January 2020. He had also served at the High Commission of India, Colombo earlier as the Head of the Political Wing from December 2000 to September 2004.

    Ambassador Sandhu was Consul General of India in Frankfurt from September 2011 to July 2013. He has worked in the Ministry of External Affairs in various capacities: as Joint Secretary (United Nations) from March 2009 to August 2011; and later as Joint Secretary (Administration) heading the Human Resource Division. He was Officer on Special Duty (Press Relations), Ministry of External Affairs from December 1995 to March 1997, and was responsible for liaison with foreign media in India.

    In a distinguished career spanning over thirty years in the Indian Foreign Service since 1988, Ambassador Sandhu started his diplomatic career from former Soviet Union (Russia) where he worked as Third Secretary (Political) / Second Secretary (Commercial) in the Indian Mission from 1990 to 1992. Following the breakup of Soviet Union, he was sent to open a new Embassy in Ukraine. He served as Head of Political and Administration Wings in Indian Embassy in Kiev from 1992 to 1994.

    Born on 23 January 1963 in a family of educationists, Ambassador Sandhu studied at The Lawrence School, Sanawar and graduated with History Honors from St. Stephens’ College, Delhi. He pursued a Master’s Degree in International Relations at the Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi.

    Ambassador Sandhu is married to Mrs. Reenat Sandhu, who is Ambassador of India to Italy. They have two children. His interests include books, movies and outdoor sports.

    Ambassador Sandhu assumed charge as Ambassador to the United States on February 3, 2020.

    Ambassador Sandhu presented his credentials to the President of the United States of America,  Donald Trump at the Oval office of the White House on 6 February 2020.

  • Trump cracks whip on social media companies with executive order

    Trump cracks whip on social media companies with executive order

    Social activists condemned the order as unconstitutional

    For both sides, freedom is in peril

    WASHINGTON (TIP): President Donald Trump on Thursday, May 28, signed an executive order cracking down on “censorship” by social media sites, a move widely seen by critics as retaliation against Twitter’s decision to slap fact-checking labels on the president’s tweets, says a CNBC report .

    The executive order targets companies granted liability protection through Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act. Under the statute, large social media companies cannot be sued for much of the content posted by others using their sites.

    Without congressional action, however, there are limits to what Trump can do with the executive order. The president said Thursday that he would indeed pursue legislation in addition to the order.

    Attorney General William Barr, who also attended the signing, said the Justice Department would seek to sue social media companies, saying the statute “has been stretched way beyond its original intention.”

    The order would push the Federal Communications Commission to set new rules on some websites’ protections under Section 230. It would also encourage the Federal Trade Commission to take action against companies that engage in “deceptive” acts of communication, and it would form a working group of state attorneys general to review relevant state laws.

    Barr earlier this year signaled the department’s intention to look “critically” at the law, originally designed to allow growing technology companies protection. But critics of the law have argued it allowed social media firms to turn a blind eye to unlawful content. It is unclear, though, on what grounds the Justice Department might sue.

    While Barr said that the president’s order does not repeal Section 230, Trump added shortly after: “One of the things we may do … is remove or totally change [Section] 230.”

    The executive order came two days after Twitter, for the first time, added warning links to two of Trump’s tweets, inviting readers to “get the facts.” The tweets made a series of claims about state-led mail-in voting services, an issue Trump has railed against in recent weeks.

    The labels, when clicked, led Twitter users to a page describing Trump’s claims as “unsubstantiated.”

    Source: Twitter

    “Trump falsely claimed that mail-in ballots would lead to ‘a Rigged Election.’ However, fact-checkers say there is no evidence that mail-in ballots are linked to voter fraud,” Twitter’s fact-checking page said, citing reporting from CNN, The Washington Post and other news outlets.

    Trump said Thursday that social media companies selectively choosing who to fact-check is tantamount to “political activism, and it’s inappropriate.”

    Twitter on Thursday night called Trump’s executive order “a reactionary and politicized approach to a landmark law, saying attempts to erode it “threaten the future of online speech.”

    Facebook issued the following statement Thursday evening:

    “Facebook is a platform for diverse views. We believe in protecting freedom of expression on our services, while protecting our community from harmful content including content designed to stop voters from exercising their right to vote. Those rules apply to everybody. Repealing or limiting section 230 will have the opposite effect. It will restrict more speech online, not less. By exposing companies to potential liability for everything that billions of people around the world say, this would penalize companies that choose to allow controversial speech and encourage platforms to censor anything that might offend anyone.”

    Google also released a statement which said the company had “clear content policies and we enforce them without regard to political viewpoint.”

    “Our platforms have empowered a wide range of people and organizations from across the political spectrum, giving them a voice and new ways to reach their audiences,” the statement said. “Undermining Section 230 in this way would hurt America’s economy and its global leadership on internet freedom.”

    On Wednesday night, Trump lashed out — on Twitter — accusing the social media giant of “interfering” in the 2020 presidential election and trying to “CENSOR” him.

    “If that happens, we no longer have our freedom. I will never let it happen!” Trump tweeted Wednesday night.

    The president had earlier tweeted that “Republicans feel that Social Media Platforms totally silence conservatives’ voices. We will strongly regulate, or close them down, before we can ever allow this to happen.”

    While Section 230 has critics on both sides of the aisle, including apparent Democratic nominee Joe Biden, who has said he believes Section 230 should be “revoked,” the executive order was swiftly panned by House Speaker Nancy Pelosi.

    “The proliferation of disinformation is extremely dangerous, particularly as our nation faces the deadliest pandemic in history,” Pelosi said in a statement.

    “Clearly and sadly, the President’s Executive Order is a desperate distraction from his failure to provide a national testing strategy to defeat COVID-19.”

    Social activists condemned the order as unconstitutional.

    “Much as he might wish otherwise, Donald Trump is not the president of Twitter,” said American Civil Liberties Union senior legislative counsel Kate Ruane after a draft of the executive order was made public earlier Thursday. “This order, if issued, would be a blatant and unconstitutional threat to punish social media companies that displease the president.”

    Still, the order had some supporters, including the Internet Accountability Project, a conservative opponent to Big Tech that is funded, in part, by Oracle.

    “The social media platforms, regardless of whether or not they are bound by the First Amendment, should be held accountable to their end-users,” said Rachel Bovard, senior adviser for Internet Accountability Project.

    “There are many lawmakers looking to recalibrate the law in order to foster the accountability and transparency that achieves that goal. President Trump’s Executive Order seeks those same ends.”

    Sen. Josh Hawley, R-Mo, who has introduced legislation tackling section 230, took to Twitter to remind his followers of own battle with Big Tech, though did not address the President’s order directly.

    “Gotta remember that key to #BigTech dominance/monopoly is advertising, and how they have manipulated [section 230] to create behavioral advertising machine,” he wrote.

    Trump’s opponents have long pressured Twitter to take action against his frequent, and frequently criticized, use of the platform. Of the 18,000-plus false or misleading claims Trump has made as president, more than 3,300 were made in tweets, according to The Washington Post.

    Those calls for action reached a fever pitch this week, as Trump continued making baseless suggestions that MSNBC anchor Joe Scarborough might have been involved in the death in 2001 of his former staffer when he served in Congress.

    The staffer’s widower asked Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey to remove Trump’s tweets on the matter. “I’m asking you to intervene in this instance because the President of the United States has taken something that does not belong to him — the memory of my dead wife — and perverted it for perceived political gain,” the widower wrote in a letter to Dorsey.

    Twitter refused to delete Trump’s tweets about Scarborough. But Dorsey on Wednesday defended his company’s fact-checking labels, saying Twitter will “continue to point out incorrect or disputed information about elections globally.”

    (With inputs from CNBC and agencies)

  • US won’t tolerate Pakistan becoming haven for terrorists: Nikki Haley

    US won’t tolerate Pakistan becoming haven for terrorists: Nikki Haley

    NEW DELHI(TIP): Pakistan becoming a haven for terror groups cannot be tolerated and the US has already delivered the message to Islamabad, US Ambassador to the UN Nikki Haley said here June 28.

    “We cannot turn a blind eye to those harboring terrorists… Communicating to Pakistan that this cannot be tolerated,” she said while delivering a lecture at the Observer Research Foundation- a Think Tank.

    She also said that India and the US must be global leaders in the fight against terrorism adding “we can and must do more.”

    Touching upon a variety of issues, she said freedom of religion is very important and that a nation such as “ours can only be held together by tolerance.”

    On China, she said the country was important but noted that its expansion in the region has been a matter of concern for the US and many other countries as Beijing does not share democratic values.

    Referring to Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s recent remarks at the Shangri-La dialogue in Singapore to ensure freedom of navigation and stability in the Indo-Pacific, she said President Donald Trump also believes in this vision.

    Haley said the US supports India’s membership in Nuclear Suppliers Group as it is a nuclear state which is widely respected.

    Haley who is on a 3-day visit to India called on Prime Minister Narendra Modi and External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj.

    She also visited a church, a mosque, a temple and the  Sikh Gurdwara Sis Ganj Sahib in Delhi where she and US Ambassador to India Kenneth Juster went to Langar Hall and rolled chapatis. Delhi Gurdwara Prabandhak Committee President Manjit Singh GK showed them round and explained how langar was being distributed free to thousands every day without any distinction of caste and creed.

    (Source: PTI)