Tag: Saudi Arabia journalist

  • G7 FOREIGN MINISTERS CONDEMN THE KILLING OF JOURNALIST JAMAL KHASHOGI

    G7 FOREIGN MINISTERS CONDEMN THE KILLING OF JOURNALIST JAMAL KHASHOGI

    Nirpal Singh Shergill in London

    LONDON /NEW YORK(TIP): The G7 Foreign Ministers, of Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, the United Kingdom, the United States of America, and the High Representative of the European Union, condemn in the strongest possible terms the killing of journalist Jamal Khashoggi, which the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia has confirmed took place in its consulate in Istanbul, according to a press release issued here today by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office.

    The confirmation of Mr. Jamal Khashoggi’s death is a first step toward full transparency and accountability. However, the explanations offered leave many questions unanswered.

    “We reiterate our expectation for a thorough, credible, transparent, and prompt investigation by Saudi Arabia, in full collaboration with the Turkish authorities, and a full and rigorous accounting of the circumstances surrounding Mr. Khashoggi’s death. Those responsible for the killing must be held to account. Saudi Arabia must put in place measures to ensure something like this can never happen again.”

    The circumstances of Mr. Khashoggi’s death reaffirm the need to protect journalists and freedom of expression around the world. “We also extend our deepest condolences to Mr. Khashoggi’s family, his fiancée, and his friends.”

  • US Calls for “Transparent” Saudi Probe into Journalist’s Disappearance

    US Calls for “Transparent” Saudi Probe into Journalist’s Disappearance

    US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo on Monday, October 8, called for a thorough and open probe by Washington’s ally Saudi Arabia into the disappearance of journalist and Riyadh critic Jamal Khashoggi.

    “We call on the government of Saudi Arabia to support a thorough investigation of Mr Khashoggi’s disappearance and to be transparent about the results of that investigation,” Pompeo said in a statement, after President Donald Trump voiced concern for Khashoggi, who vanished after entering the Saudi consulate in Istanbul last week.

    Turkish officials have alleged Khashoggi was murdered inside the consulate, but Riyadh denies those claims and says he left the compound on his own.

    “We have seen conflicting reports on the safety and whereabouts of prominent Saudi journalist and Washington Post contributor Jamal Khashoggi,” Pompeo said.

    State Department senior officials have spoken with Saudi Arabia through diplomatic channels about the matter, the top US diplomat added.

    Khashoggi, a US resident for about the past year, has written articles critical of Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman.

    On the eve of his planned marriage to a Turkish woman, he entered the consulate Tuesday and has not been seen since.