Venezuela’s interior minister Diosdado Cabello said late on Wednesday that 100 people died in the US attack which removed President Nicolas Maduro from power.
Caracas have not previously given a number for those killed, but the army posted a list of 23 names of its dead. Venezuelan officials have said a large part of Maduro’s security contingent was killed “in cold blood,” and Cuba has said 32 members of its military and intelligence services in Venezuela were killed. Maduro’s wife Cilia Flores, detained alongside him, suffered a head injury during the US raid, Cabello said, and Maduro an injury to his leg.
Venezuela’s interim President Delcy Rodriguez, who Cabello praised during his weekly show on state television as “courageous”, on Tuesday declared a week of mourning for members of the military killed in the raid.
As tensions escalated, the White House confirmed that the United States plans to control Venezuela’s oil sales “indefinitely”. The move follows the US military’s seizure of an estimated 50 million barrels of Venezuelan crude stranded in tankers and storage facilities, as well as the capture of vessels linked to Russia and Iran. The administration has already signalled it intends to sell up to $3 billion worth of Venezuelan oil into the global market. US Energy Secretary Chris Wright said Washington would oversee all future crude sales, with proceeds ostensibly earmarked for the Venezuela.
Leave a Reply