Saudi, French and US officials push Hezbollah disarmament plan

PARIS/BEIRUT (TIP)- French, Saudi Arabian and American officials held talks with the head of the Lebanese army on Thursday in Paris aimed at finalising a roadmap to enable a mechanism for the disarmament of the Hezbollah group, diplomats said. Israel and Lebanon agreed to a U.S.-brokered ceasefire in 2024, ending more than a year of fighting between Israel and Hezbollah that severely weakened the Iran-backed militant group.
Since then, Israel has carried out hundreds of violations. Without evidence, it has accused the Lebanese army of not making enough efforts to disarm Hezbollah. Israeli warplanes have increasingly targeted Hezbollah in southern Lebanon, and sometimes in the east and in Beirut’s southern suburbs.
Speaking after the meeting, France’s foreign ministry spokesperson Pascal Confavreux said the talks had agreed to document seriously with evidence the Lebanese army’s efforts to disarm Hezbollah as well as strengthening the existing ceasefire mechanism.
With growing fear the ceasefire could unravel, the Paris meeting aimed to create more robust conditions to identify, support and verify the disarmament process and dissuade Israel from escalation, four European and Lebanese diplomats and officials told Reuters.
With legislative elections due in Lebanon in 2026, there are fears political paralysis and party politics will further fuel instability and make President Joseph Aoun less likely to press disarmament, the diplomats and officials said.
“The situation is extremely precarious, full of contradictions and it won’t take much to light the powder keg,” said one senior official speaking on condition of anonymity. “Aoun doesn’t want to make the disarming process too public because he fears it will antagonise and provoke tensions with the Shia community in the south of the country.”
With the Lebanese army lacking capacity to disarm Hezbollah, the idea would be to reinforce the existing ceasefire mechanism with French, U.S. and possibly other military experts along with U.N. peacekeeping forces, the diplomats and officials said. The parties agreed to hold a conference in February to reinforce the Lebanese army, Confavreux said.
Hezbollah has refused to fully disarm, citing the ongoing Israeli attacks. In his latest speech, the group’s leader Naim Qassem doubled down on his stance.

Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *