NEW DELHI (TIP): A Canadian patent protection may be blocking an Ebola vaccine even as the world is struggling to stop the spread of the deadly virus. Almost a decade ago, Canada developed probably the world’s most promising vaccine to prevent spread of Ebola virus disease. However, the Canadian government shielded the vaccine with patent rights, limiting its further development for use in other countries, it is learnt. The Canadian government licenced the vaccine in 2010 to Bioprotection Systems Corporation, a subsidiary of NewLink Genetics, allowing the firm sole rights to develop and commercialize it. The profit-driven arrangement between the Canadian government and the firm has attracted criticism worldwide. Critics said since patenting a vaccine in such circumstances is affecting public health, the Canadian government should put it out in public domain in larger interest. The vaccine which was developed by a Canadian scientist, is based on a live attenuated vesicular stomatitis virus and has several known advantages as compared to other vaccine candidates in clinical trials.
Tag: Health
Read the latest health news, diet, fitness, medical news and healthcare tips on theindianpanorama.news/health. Get all the healthcare news, including wellness, fitness, diet and weight loss & more.
-

Six nurses killed in latest attack on Chinese medical workers
BEIJING (TIP): Seven people, including six nurses, were stabbed to death at a hospital dormitory in northern China on Thursday, the official Xinhua news agency reported, the latest in a string of attacks on medical workers. A hospital administrator was among those killed and another nurse was seriously injured in the attack, Xinhua said. The hospital is in Beidaihe, a seaside resort close to Beijing favored by senior members of the ruling Communist Party. A suspect has been detained, the Xinhua report said without providing further details.
A spate of attacks on doctors and nurses in the past two years has prompted the health ministry to provide better security at hospitals. While the government has ramped up health spending, hospitals are frequently overwhelmed with patients. Doctors are also badly paid, leading to corruption and a suspicion that staff are more interested in making money by prescribing unnecessary drugs and treatment than tending the sick. Many other Chinese are unable to afford health care despite government efforts to provide a basic safety net, which has also prompted attacks in the past. Ministry data shows that violent attacks directed at doctors and other health care workers in the form of beatings, threats, kidnappings, verbal abuse and murder reached 17,243 cases in 2010, the latest year for which such figures are available -

METROSEXUALS OUT, BEARD BACK IN STYLE
WARSAW: Jakub Marczewski grew a beard six years ago because he was too lazy to shave.Now he finds himself in the middle of a global trend. The 21-year-old got his hair and beard trimmed at a new shop with a hip retro vibe, the Barberian Academy & Barber Shop, which opened in Warsaw last month to serve the growing number of Polish men with facial hair. A revival in the culture of barbering in this Eastern European capital is just one sign of how popular beards have become, with actors, athletes and hipsters leading the way .
Metrosexuals be gone: Europe is agog for beards. “Worldwide, we are at the height of facial hair,” said Al lan Peterkin, a Toronto psychiatrist and author of “One Thousand Beards: A Cultural History of Facial Hair.” “It’s a delightful expression of masculinity, but not a super-macho expression.” After World War II, men were mostly clean-shaven, reflecting a military ethos that came to dominate corporate life, Peterkin said. Over the next decades facial hair was adopted by outcast groups like beatniks and hippies. Since the mid-1990s, it has been slowly spreading to the point that now the mountain man beard is all the rage across North America.
The 2008 financial crisis added to the beard momentum, with some men who lost their jobs ditching the conformist look as they reinvented themselves. “To grow a beard is to start a new life and to have more confidence in yourself. You look a little older, so people have more respect,” said Salvador Chanza, a 31-year-old master barber from Spain who trains professionals. Sporting both a handlebar moustache and a substantial beard, he said the embrace of facial hair reflected a rejection of the previous clean-shaven metrosexual ethos. Now facial hair is hugely popular across Western Europe, especially in fashion-conscious Paris. And in Britain and many other nations, it’s the month of “Movember” — when men are encouraged to grow a mustache to raise awareness and funds for men’s health issues. -

An Avoidable Tragedy
It is at once sobering and shocking that the sterilization procedures (laparoscopic tubectomy) carried out on 83 women at a camp in Pendari village of Chhattisgarh’s Bilaspur district on November 8 ended up killing 11 women and leaving 69 others ill, some of them critically. In another such sterilization camp held in Guarella in the same district on November 10, one of the 56 women sterilized has died and 12 remain in critical condition. Even as the precise cause of the tragedies is being investigated, what is abundantly clear is that the standard operating procedures were thrown to the winds.
It is appalling that a single doctor and a health worker carried out the procedures on all the women in both the camps. According to a 2008 document dealing with standard operating procedures for sterilization services in such camps, a surgeon can carry out no more than 30 tubectomies using three laparoscopes on a given day. Even a team with additional surgeons, support staff and instruments can at the most conduct 50 procedures a day. Even if more than one laparoscope was used, the detailed procedure of decontaminating and cleaning the laparoscope prior to disinfecting it for 20 minutes would have made it impossible to conduct 83 procedures in less than five hours at Pendari and 56 procedures at Guarella in such a short time.
It is an irony that though laparoscopic tubectomy is a bloodless procedure, many women in the Pendari camp went into hemorrhagic shock due to excessive blood loss. Along with anesthesia and drugs given to women, the needle of suspicion points to sepsis arising from the use of contaminated laparoscopes. Sadly, rules will continue to be flouted and deaths will be the order of the day as long as the lethal combination of pressure to meet sterilization targets, “compensation” amounts given to women and payment to doctors on the basis of numbers, are in place. Making it worse is the undivided attention the government has been giving to sterilization as a means of achieving by 2020 the Millennium Development Goal on reproductive, maternal, newborn, child and adolescent health.
This comes out clearly in a letter sent out on October 20, 2014 by the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare to the Chief Ministers of 11 “high focus States.” The “compensation” and payment made to all the parties have been increased for these States. Already, the number of sterilization procedures carried out in India is disproportionately high compared with other family planning measures such as the use of intrauterine devices. If the accredited social health activists (ASHA) are under pressure to mobilize women for sterilization, the increased focus on the 11 States would mean that women in these States are even less likely to be counseled and informed of safer contraceptive methods to choose from.
(The Hindu) -

US nurses hold strikes, protests over Ebola measures
SAN FRANCISCO/WASHINGTON (TIP): Tens of thousands of nurses across the United States staged protest rallies and strikes on Wednesday over what they say is insufficient protection for health workers dealing with patients possibly stricken with the deadly Ebola virus. California-based National Nurses United had expected about 100,000 nurses nationwide to participate in the protest, and a spokesman for the union said he expected about that many people to take part before the end of the day.
The union is embroiled in contract talks with the operators of nearly 90 California hospitals and clinics, and one hospital in Washington, DC. About 19,000 nurses who on Tuesday began a two-day strike against those California facilities were part of the Ebola measures protest, which in other parts of the country did not involve nurses walking off the job. Healthcare provider Kaiser Permanente, which operates most of the California facilities where the nurses were striking, has accused the union of using Ebola as a pretext for labor action.
The nurses are pressing hospitals to buy hazardous materials suits which leave no skin exposed, as well as powered air-purifying respirators, to properly protect them from exposure, and they are seeking more training to handle patients suspected of having Ebola. “The best way to protect our community is to protect our nurses,” said Evan Brost, a nurse who joined more than 30 people in a protest outside the White House over Ebola measures. Elsewhere, protests took place in Chicago, Oakland, and outside the offices of some state governors, said National Nurses United Executive Director Rose Ann DeMoro. The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says it has ordered $2.7 million worth of personal protective equipment to help hospitals care for Ebola patients, but union officials contend that is insufficient. -

US NURSE WHO CAUGHT EBOLA: ‘I’M NOT CARELESS’
ATLANTA (TIP): The Dallas nurse who flew on a commercial jet before being diagnosed with Ebola says she wasn’t careless or reckless. In an interview Thursday on NBC’s “Today” show, Amber Vinson also said she didn’t get enough training to feel comfortable treating Ebola patients. She said the first time she donned special protective gear was when she was heading in to take care of an infected patient at her Dallas hospital. Vinson said she checked with health officials before flying Oct 10 from Dallas to Cleveland and returning three days later. The Atlanta-based Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has acknowledged that Vinson wasn’t stopped from flying, something the agency later said was a mistake on its part. Vinson has recovered from Ebola. She said Thursday she feels good, but still gets tired sometimes.
-

Apex court asks Centre for list of allottees of govt bungalows
NEW DELHI (TIP): The Supreme Court on November 7 asked the Centre to furnish the list of allottees of government bungalows in the national capital, including those who occupied the accommodation under the five per cent discretionary quota. A bench of Chief Justice H L Dattu and Justice A K Sikri also told solicitor general Ranjit Kumar, representing the Centre, to submit a list of people who over-stayed in the government bungalows, particularly in type VI, VII and VIII categories. The court’s order to the Government came after amicus curiae and senior advocate Meenakshi Arora submitted that a large number of bungalows were occupied by former ministers. The squatters continued occupation on the ground that they were re-elected to Parliament, she claimed. She gave the example of former Union minister Arjun Singh, whose wife continued to squat in the allotted bungalow due to health reasons.










