When it comes to evaluating artwork, men seem to focus more on the artist’s background and authenticity while women pay more attention to the art itself. The sexes show stark differences in how they evaluate art, finds a new study, suggesting that busing a brand to average consumers when they appraise art is key for an artist’s success. “All consumers in the study, but especially men, evaluated art with a strong emphasis on how motivated and passionate the artist was,” said Stephanie Mangus, assistant professor at Michigan State University’s Broad College of Business.
“So if you are an artist or if you are managing an artist, developing that human brand – getting the message across that you are authentic – becomes essential,” he asserted. Mangus and her colleagues had 518 people look at two unfamiliar paintings with made-up biographies of the artist. Some participants read a bio that characterised the artist as authentic – in other words, a lifelong painter who creates unique work.
Others read a bio that characterised the artist as an ordinary painter who took up the craft only recently. When the artist was characterised as authentic, participants had a much more favourable impression of both the artist and the artwork. “Participants indicated they were more willing to buy that artist’s painting and to pay a higher price for it,” Mangus noted. Men were much more likely to use the artist’s brand as a deciding factor when evaluating art.
Women also took the artist’s authenticity into account but a bigger factor for them was the artwork itself. “Women are more willing to go through a complicated process of actually evaluating the artwork whereas men may say, ‘This guy is a great artist so I will buy his art’,” Mangus added, Knowing that the artist’s brand plays a major role in consumers’ evaluation may help art dealers better set their prices. The findings can also help consumers make decisions on which art they buy.
Tag: Health
Read the latest health news, diet, fitness, medical news and healthcare tips on theindianpanorama.news/health. Get all the healthcare news, including wellness, fitness, diet and weight loss & more.
-

Thomas Eric Duncan: First Ebola death in U.S. – Anxiety in Dallas
DALLAS (TIP): Thomas Eric Duncan left Liberia for the United States, by official accounts, a healthy man. Just over two weeks later, he passed away at a Dallas, Texas, hospital with Ebola.
Duncan was admitted into isolation at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital on September 28 with common symptoms of Ebola: fever, vomiting and diarrhea. He later tested positive for the virus that has killed more than 3,400 people in West Africa.
He was started on the experimental drug brincidofovir on October 4 — far too long after he arrived at the hospital, his family has said. On Tuesday, October 7, the hospital reported that Duncan was on a ventilator and his kidneys were failing. Duncan died on Wednesday, October 8 at 7:51 a.m.
Ebola anxiety was ratcheted up in the afternoon, as Dallas TV stations broke into regular programming with live video of an ambulance headed to Presbyterian from a health clinic in Frisco.
Inside was a Dallas County sheriff’s deputy who had been briefly inside the Vickery Meadow apartment where Duncan stayed before he was hospitalized. The deputy had come down with a stomachache. Local and national health officials said it was unlikely that this was a new Ebola case. “We can’t afford to make a mistake,” Frisco Fire Chief Mark Piland said, explaining the abundance of caution. About the time the ambulance carrying Deputy Michael Monnig arrived at Presbyterian, the director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention described Duncan as the “face we now associate with Ebola.” For American health care workers, Ebola “needs to be top-of-mind,” said Dr. Tom Frieden. Duncan’s death will have no effect on the system being used to track anyone he had contact with when he was sick enough to pass along the infection, said Zachary Thompson, Dallas County’s health department director. Ten people are considered at highest risk, with 38 others being monitored daily. None has shown any sign of illness, officials said.
-

More Kids Absent from Schools after Ebola Diagnosis in Dallas
DALLAS (TIP): Attendance rates dropped at Dallas schools today after officials announced some students could have been exposed to Ebola after possibly coming in contact with a man who was the first to be diagnosed the deadly disease within the Unites States.
About 86 percent of students showed up to class today at the affected Dallas schools, and the attendance rate is usually about 10 percent higher, Dallas Independent School District Superintendent Mike Miles said at a news conference today.
Five students at four different area schools were potentially exposed to Ebola and were sent home to be monitored for 21 days, the incubation period for the Ebola virus. The children pose no risk to others, however, because they are not showing symptoms, thereby unable to transmit the disease even if they are infected, health officials said.
Nervous parents still said on Wednesday, October 1, they planned to keep their kids at home today.Custodial staff was sent to clean the four schools plus another school nearby, district officials said, adding that extra nurses were also on hand.
-

Nepal PM Koirala free of cancer after treatment
KATHMANDU (TIP): Nepal’s Prime Minister Sushil Koirala, who was diagnosed with first stage lung cancer and underwent radiotherapy sessions in the US, has fully recovered from the disease, his close aide said on October 02. Koirala, 75, had undergone radiotherapy sessions for lung cancer in New York’s Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Centre after spots and lesions were detected in June.
Koirala, currently in New York for the UN general assembly, visited the hospital on Monday for a follow-up, six weeks after receiving radiotherapy, Nepal News reported. “After an analysis of the blood test, Chest CT scan and PET scan reports, Koirala’s private physician Dr Karbir Nath Yogi and Dr Manjit Bains of the cancer centre declared that the Prime Minister had recuperated,” Koirala’s press co-ordinator Prakash Adhikari said in a statement. Yogi said the patch on Koirala’s chest was gone after he received treatment and his health condition was good, according to the statement.
After his treatment in the US, Koirala had said he conquered the disease due to the prayers and good wishes of the entire Nepali community as well as foreigners, including his Indian counterpart Narendra Modi, who had personally wished him speedy recovery.
Koirala was a habitual cigarette smoker until he was diagnosed with tongue cancer eight years ago and has been visiting the New York medical facility for annual follow-ups after undergoing surgery.
-

US readies 4,000 troops for Ebola mission
WASHINGTON (TIP): The US military expects to increase the number of troops deployed to Liberia to fight the Ebola outbreak to nearly 4,000, up from a planned 3,000-strong force, the Pentagon said on October 3.
About 200 soldiers are already in Liberia setting up a headquarters for the US mission, which is aimed at training health care workers and setting up medical facilities for international aid teams.
President Barack Obama earlier this month announced that about 3,000 troops would eventually head to West Africa to help with efforts against the deadly virus.
But the Pentagon said officials were looking at ramping up the size of the force if necessary.
“We project that there could be nearly 4,000 troops deployed in support of this mission, but we’re obviously assessing the requirements on a daily basis. It may not go that high,” spokesman Rear Admiral John Kirby told reporters.
He said an additional 1,800 US Army troops, including engineers, medical and aviation specialists, received orders to deploy to Africa in coming weeks.
This was in addition to 1,400 already headed to Monrovia this month, including the troops already on the ground.
The deployment will bring the total number of American forces in Liberia and neighboring states to 3,200, officials said.
-

Chautala meets supporters despite Delhi HC notice
JIND (TIP): Former Haryana chief minister Om Prakash Chautala, out on bail on health grounds, met his supporters, days after he and the CBI were put under notice by the Delhi high court on a plea seeking directions to the politician to surrender. Indian National Lok Dal (INLD) chief went to residences of his supporters in Jind besides visiting the party’s election office.
INLD is fighting a battle for the October 15 assembly polls in alliance with Shiromani Akali Dal (SAD) after being out of helm of affairs for a decade. “Chautala arrived here last night. He met party workers and this morning left for Uchana to take a round of the village,” said a party spokesman.
Chautala, however, maintained distance from the media. At the residence of an INLD supporter in the city he had breakfast. His supporters were seen touching his feet and offering him garlands. Chautala also visited the residence of a BJP leader on Gohana road where two saffron party politicians announced that they are joining the INLD.
Ucahana in the Jat heartland from where his grandson and country’s youngest MP Dushyant is fighting his maiden assembly battle against Congress-turned -BJP leader Birender Singh’s wife Prem Lata.
On October 1, the Delhi high court had issued notice to CBI and Chautala after senior advocate Vivek Tankha appearing for the petitioner lawyer contended that Chautala intends to
“misuse the grace period of 17 days given to him to surrender” by planning to campaign during the period. While issuing notice to CBI and Chautala, the court had questioned, “Why has CBI not taken note of all this (election campaign)? CBI does not seem to be aggrieved by this.” The court also questioned the maintainability of the application. The petition had also contended that Chautala is “misusing the orders of the court and taking the court for a jolly ride, thereby abusing the process of law”.According to the petition, Chautala, who has been convicted and sentenced to 10 years jail term in a teachers’ recruitment scam case, was granted bail on medical grounds on May 21, 2013 and since then he has been out by extending it on the same ground.
-

US scientist: Ebola unlikely to become airborne
WASHINGTON (TIP): It’s incredibly unlikely that Ebola would mutate to spread through the air, and the best way to make sure it doesn’t is to stop the epidemic, a top government scientist told concerned lawmakers on Sep 17. “A virus that doesn’t replicate, doesn’t mutate,” Dr Anthony Fauci of the National Institutes of Health told a House Foreign Affairs subcommittee. Fauci said US researchers are monitoring for mutations in the virus, which has killed at least 2,400 people.
But considering all the dire things to worry about with this out-of-control epidemic in West Africa, that mutation concern is not “something I would put at the very top of the radar screen,” said Fauci, head of NIH’s National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases. The unprecedented Ebola outbreak is believed to have sickened nearly 5,000 people, mostly in Liberia, Sierra Leone and Guinea. The deadly virus also has reached Nigeria and Senegal. Ebola is spread through direct contact with the bodily fluids of sick patients. But as the epidemic has grown, so have questions about whether, if left unchecked, the virus might transform and become more contagious.
In hearings in the Senate and House on Tuesday and Wednesday, lawmakers asked Fauci if it might even become airborne. Viruses certainly mutate all the time, making mistakes as they copy themselves in order to grow and spread, Fauci explained. Most of those mutations are irrelevant, not associated with any biological change. But sometimes, those mutations can make a virus a little more or a little less virulent, or make it a little more or a little less efficient at spreading in whatever way it normally is transmitted, he said. “Very, very rarely does it completely change the way it’s trnsmitted,” Fauci said.









